Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wind Forecast Site

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wind Forecast Site

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Rod Bender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Forecast Site

Hey Guys,

I have all kinds of weather links for wind\wave\swell forecasting when I'm heading offshore, but nothing for land use. Do you guys have a fav? I normally use Intellicast.com for all my weather needs as I find it to be most accurate. But wanted to know if you guys know of a site that has more detailed wind pressure cell model forecasting?

Thanks in advance......Greg
Old 09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Wind Forecast Site

[link]http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KLAW&model=avn&state=OK&Submit=Get+Forecast[/link]

This link is for my home town forecast, you'll have to change it to your area. I've found that this site is usually pretty accurate in the wind forecast for our field.

Ken
Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use this one:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...=173&map.y=145
Like the other posted above, you need to enter your location. Also has an hourly weather graph on on lower right hand part of the page that is kinda handy for detailed forcasts.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I use www.weatherchannel.com

You can look at the forecast hour by hour. And you can see your local weather radar to determine if you have time to fly before a system hits your area and even tell if the system will hit or miss you.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Rod Bender

Thanks Guys,

Good stuff. Problem for me is, I live 40 miles from the field, so conditions where I live will generally not be the same at the field. Thanks again for your input, as usual, this site is awesome with friendly advice and feedback in a very fast timeframe.

Greg
Old 09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use weather.com http://www.weather.com If you click on hour by hour it will give you the wind for each hour. I have found it to be accurate about 98% of the time.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM
LANNYBOB

wunderground.com
Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Flying Hog

Real Time with the weatherbug www.weatherbug.com
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Rod Bender

Thanks for the additional input guys,

I have been using the weather channel, and found it to be pretty accurate. Today in my area, or the flying field, it called for 5-10mph, and the NOAA site mentnioned from TLH101 proved to be very accurate today, the hourly forecast called with the stronger wind & gusts coming at 2pm and beyond. Well, today at 1:40pm it started to blow consistantly, and at 2pm, we were loaded and locking the gate at the field. Pretty darn accurate.

Campy, I have downloaded the weatherbug program and will check it out and let ya know how it works in my area.

Thanks again to all for your input, again, this is a great site!!!!!!

Greg
Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
da Rock

Problem for me is, I live 40 miles from the field, so conditions where I live will generally not be the same at the field.
There are a couple of locations around my favorite club field. My zip gives the forecast for home, but home is about 25 miles from the field. Not 40, but 25 isn't close. I've got a handheld weather station and can accurately check the winds (and lots more) and have found that luckily, my zip is usually the same as that club. I have found that one of the other zips just might be better for that field. You might have the same situation for your 40-mile distant field. There might be a zip that works for your field better than your home zip.

I'm getting a feel for how my zip's report differs, and it matches a closer one of my club fields, although I don't often fly there, and it is obviously better for around the house here, so I still use my zip. But any zip gets a report.

BTW, the flying weather one, usairnet.com, has a radar at the top of the screen and a link to a statewide realtime report picture of the winds. It's graph of windspeeds, directions, and temps is useful, but I find that radar and picture of the winds in the state are what I usually base the fly-nofly decision on.

And hey.... it's time to click on that sucker to see if I wanna go fly today..... Retirement is a neverending effort!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Rod Bender

Awesome DaRock,

fyi ~ I do plug in a different zip for the field than my home. I live in the mountains, we get winds from the E every night coming off of Lake Tahoe. The field is located in the foothills of El Dorado, actually the 1st set coming off the Sacramento basin, so quite a difference in condition variables. I plugged in your site usairnet.com, and found it to be similar to the weather channel site, but with more fields to access data. Its in my fav folder now, thanks for the input, all is greatly appreciated .... Greg
Old 09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

Thanks for the additional input guys,

I have been using the weather channel, and found it to be pretty accurate. Today in my area, or the flying field, it called for 5-10mph, and the NOAA site mentnioned from TLH101 proved to be very accurate today, the hourly forecast called with the stronger wind & gusts coming at 2pm and beyond. Well, today at 1:40pm it started to blow consistantly, and at 2pm, we were loaded and locking the gate at the field. Pretty darn accurate.

Campy, I have downloaded the weatherbug program and will check it out and let ya know how it works in my area.

Thanks again to all for your input, again, this is a great site!!!!!!

Greg
It is not the weatherbug I suggested. I suggested http://www.weather.com/
Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Rod Bender

[X(] ooppss... my bad. Sorry, too many emails\posts\sites, sorry for the confusion on my end. Again, all great 411, and greatly appreciated .................................................. .............................. Greg
Old 09-23-2006, 01:05 PM
NCIS

accuweather.com
Punch in your zip code and it will give you two days of hourly wind speed and direction. For pinpoint winds and direction I also call the nearest airports automated weather observation systems recording that is updated every second. Call the Airport for the number.

Gibbs
Old 09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Rod Bender

Good One Gibbs,

It's been added to my fav's also. Just like fishing, I check and look at as many information sites as possible before venturing offshore 30-60 miles. Can't tell ya how many times I've threaded the needle when others stayed at port, only to have dead flat calm water before or after a storm. I've only been caught with me pants down once, and it was a well lesson learned.

Because I live so far from the nearest field, this info is priceless for me, maybe not for safety, but I don't know anyone that would drive 80 miles round trip to find it non flyable with todays gas prices................................... Greg
Old 09-23-2006, 10:54 PM
da Rock

This is the one I use most. It shows the information graphically. Since my usual field is almost right on N-S, the arrows showing wind direction give me an excellent idea where the wind is going to be coming from out there. And it usually is. It shows the wind speed with that graph so it's just as easy and quick to understand. They get 3 days on the page. It also shows the cloud ceiling. And chance of rain. etc etc

It also shows a small area radar at the top of the page. Click on it for bigger view. But I've gotten where I can tell enough from that tiny little map and if I can't I can click.

It also has a list of detailed reports. The list is in the upper right and one of them that's really useful is the windspeeds shown on an area map. I can see what's being reported realtime.

It jams the most info of all into one screen. And covers 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32724.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	529345  
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Rod Bender

Ok.... Thanks for the graph, I was able to find that exact page for my area after seeing this. The target information location is 1.5 miles from the club, so it should be pretty darn accurate. Thanks for the additional guidance to this page .... Greg
Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
NCIS

Rod Bender,

Glad I could help!

Gibbs