Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help me understand my crash!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help me understand my crash!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand my crash!

Model: CG Extra 300 Radio Futaba 9CAP Engine Magnum 1.08

I think it is pilot error, but would appreciate some input as I am discouraged. Plane was outbound so was not close up and cannot remember the previous maneuver. Plane went into a spiral dive and I could not recover fast enough before crashing. Controls, mostly full up elevator did not seem to make a difference. Did I stall, causing a tip stall and downward spin?

All radio gear worked after crash. Do not suspect 'getting hit' by another flier as there were two others at the field and not on my frequency (very remote field and I have check for bleed over with a scanner many times). I'm really bummed as this plane was flying great and true. This was only the 4th or 5th flight.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 05:41 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Help me understand my crash!

ORIGINAL: surf

. Controls, mostly full up elevator did not seem to make a difference. Did I stall, causing a tip stall and downward spin?

Thanks

Sorry for your loss but the incident is a classic stall/spin in a sport aerobatic type. You cannot recover from a stall by continuing to hold up elevator. The up must be released or the wing cannot regain laminar flow.

John
Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 PM
surf

You are right on the 'full up' but it happened so fast the only thing i tried to grab was full up!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How long have you been flying? The way you asked, it seems like you are pretty new to be flying a plane like that.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I'll bet you were also trying to fly too slow. Classic mistake with a new plane - try to fly slow so mistakes don't happen so fast. Unfortunately, when you're flying slow, you're pulling up elevator, you induce the tip stall - now you're spinning and panicking. You want to pull up to stop, and it just makes it worse. The only way to recover is to release all control surface inputs, and increase the throttle. Now gently apply up elevator and fly out.

Good luck.
Brad
Old 09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Also if you have time. Opposite rudder,remove up elevator, level wings and bring throttle to idle. Only after the spin has stopped and in a dive add throttle and slowly add elevator. Dennis
Old 09-23-2006, 08:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen this happen more times than I care to think about.

Once a spin has started, the only way to recover is to gain airspeed - and the only way to do that (Unless it's a 3-D plane) is to relax all controlls and let the plane drop. Once it has re-gained it's airspeed, you can GRADUALLY pull out of the dive (Pulling out too quickly can re-create the spin)

If a plane goes into a spin at low altitude, there's nothing you can do.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 AM
surf

Thanks for all of the relies (except one about the 'experience level'). I was pretty sure I had stalled and then spun, without height to recover. This just verifies altitude is your friend!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:46 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are two types of spins,regular spin with the nose pointed down[fairly easy to recover from],then there is the flat spin where the nose is almost level with the horizon[very difficult,sometimes impossible to recover from].they use two different techniques.do you remember how the nose was pointed during the spin?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:58 PM
surf

Absolutely, DOWN, it was not a flat spin.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Lee MRC

When in dougth add throttle.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: surf

Thanks for all of the relies (except one about the 'experience level'). I was pretty sure I had stalled and then spun, without height to recover. This just verifies altitude is your friend!

It was a perfectly legit question? Wasn't meant to degrade you, I was just wondering? Your question is one I get a lot from my students, so I was curious.