Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Latex Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latex Coverage

I'm getting ready to paint a plane covered with Solartex. I initially covered the rudder and elevators with yellow Solartex, but didn't like it I'm painting the plane red. The rest of the plane is covered with natural or unpainted Solartex. My test piece which is half natural and half yellow, shows that the yellow isn't the same shade of red after four coats using Behr latex. What needs to be done to get the same shade?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
flipstart

Default RE: Latex Coverage

I have painted 3 scale planes using latex over solartex- I used mostly the natural and some white-had some of the same type problems of color match. Try priming with Rustoleum automotive primer, grey might be the better choice of primer color. Do some color swatches and see if this will help-get the base primer color the same on natural and yellow solartex, paint should match. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:32 PM
scratchonly

I use behr latex and find yellows and reds do not cover well. A base coat of white may help; be carefull of the weight buildup as white is the heaviest paint, black is the lightest. You might try a white base on just the yellow parts. Ceck the colors outside if you paint under flourescent lights.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scratchonly is on the rite track.

When painting the color yellow always put down
a layer of white first. This applies to the dopes and
polys as well. For some reason yellow doesn't cover very well.

Roby