Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting equipment

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting equipment

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:53 AM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting equipment

My brother and I would like to start painting our models on those that are not finished with monokote or equivalent. We are not sure where to start or what we need, so we are turning to here for help. Alas, not a local hobby shop closer than 3 hours away one way, so can't go in to one and look. We are looking for a decent setup, not the cheapest we can find. I've painted a little bit with paint like the topflite paints and also with hardware paints, with pretty fair results, but would like finishes like you see on cars and stuff. In other words, we'd really like to do some nice paint jobs. What do we need.. such as a paint gun or compressor, etc? Thanks, and will be checking back in here.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the best thing for you and your brother to do. is go to Harbor freight store. They have inexpensive spray guns that will allow you to start practicing without first spending a small fortune on spray equipment. This of course assumes that you have access to an air compressor.

Vince
Old 01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Frazzy

That is good to go to the Harbor freight store provided one is within 1000 miles of one. To put it in perspective of where I live, I have to drive 50 miles to the closest McDonalds restaurant, 65 miles to a Walmart, etc, etc. Home Depot and similar places.... 190 miles to closest one. So, I can't just walk in any store and look easily. I was hoping you guys that paint would have some compressor ideas and specific paint gun ideas and maybe explain why they use the particular gun they use.

Or, does a guy just go to a Walmart and buy an automotive spray gun? These would be way too big for hobby, wouldn't it? Thanks, and still looking for answers.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harbour freight is on the web, and they do mail orders. Do a search for spray.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Vince
Old 01-16-2003, 10:05 PM
hebertjj

Come on guys !!! Give us some info. I know HF is online. What compressors, guns, and airbrushes work best. What paint/thinner do you use for gas/nitro.

Cough up the info !!!

Joel
Old 01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
coop02
My Feedback: (4)

Here's some info:

I just finished a model using latex paint. It has a gas engine so latex will work fine. See below for glow fuel info.

I use a Wagner Finecoat HVLP spray system. These are cheap for home use. I paid $79.95 for mine several years ago, they may be more now. You have to buy a next smaller nozzle from Wagner to get the spray down fine enough. The advantage of these is minimal overspray. I spray in my basement and have no problems.

For paint, I used Valspar Duramax latex Gloss Enamel from Lowes at $7.48 per quart. I thinned it about 6 oz of water to a pint for spraying. It took 2 coats to cover. I primed with latex flat interior primer first. Sprayed the whole plane with that, thinned for spraying. Duramax comes in lots of ready mixed colors. The red exactly matches Ultracote True Red.

For glow fuel, you have to cover latex paint. Carver-Tripp SUPER Polyurethane water based finish is fuel proof to at least 15% nitro (from experience) maybe more. Be sure to get the SUPER. The regular is on the shelf next to it and is NOT fuel proof.

If covering latex with Poly, you can use any latex paint underneath. Flat works nicely and you get the finish gloss from the Poly, either satin or gloss. You can get thousands of colors in the interior latex paint, too. See the big color displays at Lowes, etc. (but they don't have real bright red, only in Duramax).

If you don't want to spray, you can brush on the latex with a foam brush. Thin the paint 2 paint to 1 water. It will take 3 to 5 coats to get good solid covering. You can also brush on the Super Poly.

When masking, use Scotch Plastic tape, available from auto paint supply stores. It is about $5 per roll for 1/4", but works great. Part number is 06405. Define your lines with it, but then use cheap masking and newspaper to cover the rest of the model. The plastic will leak if you cross pieces as at a square corner. It should be sealed with a coat of the base color before putting over the top color.

Spraying latex with HVLP is great. No fumes hazard and your wife won't yell at you for stinking up the house. Just thin it out enough to spray, but so it won't run. Experiment first before you shoot your new model. It takes some experience to come up to speed, but is not that difficult and the results are worthwhile.

Hope this helps. ask any more questions.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47854_9293.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	29469  
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Azcat59

Gee Whiz, Ron, Tribune Kansas must be further from everything than Burdett, Kansas, where I was raised! Are you at the end of the "Yellow Brick Road"?

First, you need a compressor. Minimum would be 3/4 hp with a 10-12 gal. tank. Should come with air hose, gauges, etc. You need to be able to control the amount of air you get at the gun. I would think Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowes would be the best places to look.

Next, you need the Badger Detail gun. Tower probably still sells it. All metal, about $70 in the past, may be higher now. This will put out enough paint to spray a wing fairly quickly. You may also want to get a small "airbrush" type of gun. The Badger 250 is cheap and while not a real airbrush, it works well for smaller areas such as cowls, or trim.

You can't get K&B Epoxy or Hobby Poxy paints any more. You might want to use Midwest Formula U (Hobby Shop should have).
Automotive paints are good, but expensive and hard to find in small quantities.

Anymore, I do more Monokoting, and less painting, and many times leave the compressor idle while I blast away with the Rustoleum spray cans.....no guns to clean up!

Good luck with your painting!

Clair Sieverling