Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultimate 40S Flight Question, First Time Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultimate 40S Flight Question, First Time Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate 40S Flight Question, First Time Flyer

Hello All, I've been reading so much great information on this model from experienced flyers my question is when your comming in on your final desent, is this a plane you can cut the throttle to idle and continue at a steady air speed as you approach the ground. Is this a plane that requires more of a fly to land with less glide? I know It's kind-of a tuff question but hopefully some of you will understand what I'm talking about. I fly several war-birds, you can see my gallery. Most of them require 1/3 throttle to idle when landing without cart-wheeling the landing. This will be a first time for me flying an ultimate 40 the warbirds I fly have much larger wing area. So if you have any general guide lines for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60524.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	546926  
Old 10-23-2006, 09:32 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate 40S Flight Question, First Time Flyer

You'll probably find it lands much like your warbirds. like most planes you should use the throttle to manage decent and drop to idle just a hair before or right at touch down. It will land a bit hot... much like your warbirds and it won't glide forever... it won't drop like a rock either. Ultimates like to land on the mains... doing 3 pointers it not easy without risking a stall... make sure you use the rudder during landing and don't worry much about cartwheels or nose overs... Ultimates ground handle nice(properly set up). Until you get use to the glide/stall habits fly it to the ground.

John
Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate 40S Flight Question, First Time Flyer

Mine usually comes in clean on a mild day with about three clicks of throttle. Biplanes have enough extra drag that if you chop the throttle, they're going to slow down more than you'll be used to if all you've flown is Caps or 4*s or whatever.

What matters is how much wind she's coming into. I've found that no matter the wind, if she has the usual ground speed she's safe. And the throttle position is whatever it is to have that speed.

Looks like a pretty big prop. What I'd want to suggest isn't about the landing since they're easy to abort. Don't just firewall her for takeoffs. Ease the throttle up and keep her straight. By the time something looks bad on takeoff you ain't gonna do a safe go round and try again. Landings are safer than takeoffs if you're headsup and wave it off at the first thing that you don't like. Firewalled takeoffs are spectator sports for the pilot. No time to do anything but watch if you jam it and pray.

Mine has plenty of stick authority with low rates for any takeoff. And it's not as quick reacting with low rates. I'd suggest starting out at low rates the first few flights. As good as she answers all the surfaces, she's not going to need full throw to recover, and you'll be glad for the little extra time low rates would give you.

She looks cute. Wait'll you see her in the air!