Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spinners for 4 Strokers

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spinners for 4 Strokers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
afuller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinners for 4 Strokers

RCU Readers,

I've finally moved from the .46 size two cycle airplane engines to my first 4 stroker, a Saito 100. Question is, I've heard rumors that the plastic spinners I'm used to for the two cycle engines just won't cut it on the 4 strokes, because of greater prop kickback, double prop nut requirements, etc.

1) Is this true?
2) What is the recommended type of spinner to use. Should I look at the Dave Brown or Turn aluminum ones/ (pricey), or are there other alternates that you've have good luck with.

Thanks for your help,
Al Fuller
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Spinners for 4 Strokers

All my fourstrokes i use aluminum spinners, they are much more durable and just look cool. Ive tryed Dave Brown spinners as they cheaper than the truturns but since they are cast molded they will just shatter under impact. However truturns are turned under a lathe to shape they are much stronger and more true. Ive had a few mishaps with few of my planes and become relatively untouched. So I can just take them off and put them on a new plane without having to buy another spinner. Also truturn could custom make a spinner for you if you desire if you have a engine / prop combo that will fit your needs.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used the same plastic DuBro spinners on 4 strokes and 2 strokes. No problems encountered.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Runway

In my experience most commercially available plastic spinners will work just fine with four strokes.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plastic spinners should be OK on a 4-stroke, provided that the engine doesn't run lean and kick the prop.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

To add to that a lot of fourstrokes can use the wider props and you have to modify the spinner to accomodate them. The problem is you can't modify the plastic props reliably so in that case it's best to get an aluminum prop that fits the wider props.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quickly found the torque needed to keep a 4-stroke prop on the shaft will distort the plastic back plate which keeps the cone from fitting. Metal back plates with a plastic cone are OK as they don't distort (Great Planes). Another negative with plastic spinner cones (especially with the CB brand) is they badly score from starter cones. If you hand flip that isn't a problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will also say that I usually use plastic spinners with 4-strokes - and 4-strokes is almost all I use anymore. Never had a problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i have a plastic spinner on my ultrasport 40 plus with a saito 72 and it hasnt had any problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using a plastic spinner on a Saito 45 and when it kicked the prop off a few weeks ago the spinner was not damaged. (Was not double-nut'd) I had not heard about a potential problem with plastic spinners.