Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

This is impossible Help covering fairings

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

This is impossible Help covering fairings

Old 11-06-2006, 03:24 PM
scooty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is impossible Help covering fairings

I'm trying to cover the wing fairings on my gp p51 mustang and am having no luck. I'm using topflight monokote. Any tips or ideas ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	555362  
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
parrthd

Default RE: This is impossible Help covering fairings

i would guess a trim seal iron with the rounded tip on it, and LOTS AND LOTS of time.

i'm also fowarding this tread to out "resident covering expert" minnflyer, he knows his stuff on covering, he might have some ideas.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
touch and go
My Feedback: (11)

The last time I covered fairings I cut the iron-on covering into strips and then ironed them on length-wise; it worked pretty good.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It just so happens that I have covered this exact plane many years ago as well as 2 Ultra Sports (Which have the same wing fillet)

First, Good luck!

This is probably the most difficult covering challenge I have ever faced - But don't give up, it CAN be done.

First thing to note: This will be a separate piece from the fuse side, don't even TRY to do it all with one piece.

Second: the piece you cut needs to be cut in the same direction as the piece you will cut for the Fuse side otherwise you will see a definite color shift between the two

Ok, ready?

Cut a strip of MK in a long tapered strip so that it is only 3/8" wider than the area it will cover, and about 1" longer in front, and 2-3" longer on the aft end. Make a paper template to cut this piece from, as you may need to cut a few before getting it ironed on right.

The strip should be positioned so that you have about 1/8" excess toward the Fuse side and 1/4" overhang on the outboard side.

First, tack down the front of the strip to the LE of the Fillet (leaving the 1" extra hanging over the front).

Slowly and carefully work your iron back, but don't go too far. If you can get it tacked down for the first 2" that's good enough.

Now it would really come in handy to have a helper (Unless you have 3 hands). And while your looking for someone, grab a teaspoon. (Special note: If your helper is your wife, don't use one of her good spoons! If your wife isn't around, one of her good spoons will do just fine)

Have the helper hold the aft end of the strip in place and pull with slight pressure (A good firm pull but not so hard that it will break the tacked-down portion loose)

Now, Heat the spoon with your heat gun and use it as an iron. The curve of the spoon is much easier to get into that fillet than an iron is. Again, work slowly and carefully. Use the heat gun directly on the covering at times, but keep working that spoon. There are times when you will use the spoon as an iron, and other times where you will use the spoon to just hold the covering in place while it cools.

Remember this: The covering sticks at a low temp, and shrinks at a slightly higher temp. You never want the covering to shrink, or it will pull free. BUT... covering can also stretch at those higher temps, so if you have an area that is pulling up, you can place the spoon on it and push it down, then heat the spoon, and hold it in place till it cools off. Once the covering has cooled, it should stay in place ("Should" being the operative word)

Finally, if it's making you crazy, stop, quit for the night, and tackle it again tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
MinnFlyer

And don't forget to put your wife's spoon back!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
parrthd

yea, there you go..........do just what he said.

i'm also putting this in my "mental file" for when i tackle my first plane that has wing fillets.

thanks for the fast reply mike, i figured you have been down this road before
Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word: Balsarite!

I recently built a Dirty Birdy 60 that also has wing fillets.

And as Minn pointed out, this should be a separate piece. His idea of the heat gun and spoon sounds interesting. I haven't heard that one before so I did it with an iron.

I put a couple of coats of Balsarite on the fairing area and sanded. Then I put that piece on first. A little fiddling with the piece before hitting it with the iron will help you figure out how to position it for the best natural fit with the least stretching. Personally I found it easier to start ironing the back and work forward when using the iron. Use the round edge of your iron and then rub with a cloth until cool. Do just a little at a time.

The Balsarite really helped stick the MonoKote down.

I've run several gallons of fuel through the plane already and the fillets show no sign of bubbles or separations.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45960.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	555412  
Old 11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You might consider glassing and painting the fuselage with matching MonoKote paint. Then use MonoKote on the wing and stabs. Details on how to glass the fuselage can be found in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3973867/tm.htm Works for me.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get a monokote trim iron with the small rounded shoe, and that will do the trick.

Better than that, use cloth and dope with an automotive final finish. It is like glass, and the seams never turn loose. I have planes over 10 years old with this finish system, and they still look as good as new.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Lots of good ideas, but in my opinion they would all work better if you switched to Ultra cote. (that oughta start something).

Walt
Old 11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
MinnFlyer

This is one case where you can argue the case for either.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Walt Thyng

Lots of good ideas, but in my opinion they would all work better if you switched to Ultra cote. (that oughta start something).

Walt
Hard to argue that UC sticks better and is generally easier to work with... But it doesn't have that amazing shine that MK does when finished.

There is a long thread in the Pattern forum about the degradation of properties and user friendliness of MK over the last few years. Many people report serious problems getting the newer stuff to stick well and the shrink is much less consistent and tougher to control. And some of those guys are MASTERS when it comes to finishing an aircraft, so they do have something to offer on the material properties of MK.

I agree with the dope and fabric choice, it is truly permanent and very tough. But it's a lot more work than films. You don't get something for nothing here, unfortunately.

Mark
Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 AM
MinnFlyer

I think it's strange that so many people say that MK shines better than UC. I make a living with my eyes, and I've never noticed the difference. Even when both coverings are on the same plane![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]