Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass cloth for retract re-enforcement

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass cloth for retract re-enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Ace9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass cloth for retract re-enforcement

Hello all: I was wondering what fiberglass cloth to purchase in order to re-enforce my main landing gear rails used to hold the gear in place. They list it like this: 1/2oz 1 Sq Yd, 1.5oz 1 Sq Yd, 6oz 1 Sq Yd etc. What do the numbers mean and what would be good for my purpose described above? Thanks for any info on this topic, Ace9.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fiberglass cloth for retract re-enforcement

ORIGINAL: Ace9

Hello all: I was wondering what fiberglass cloth to purchase in order to re-enforce my main landing gear rails used to hold the gear in place. They list it like this: 1/2oz 1 Sq Yd, 1.5oz 1 Sq Yd, 6oz 1 Sq Yd etc. What do the numbers mean and what would be good for my purpose described above? Thanks for any info on this topic, Ace9.

The figures tell you. 1/2 oz 1 sq yd means a 3'x3' piece of fiberglass cloth weighs 1/2 oz. The weights of fiberglass cloth (and many coverings ) are given as the weight per 1 sq yd (3'x3' ).

For the LG rails, I would not be concerned about the fiberglass. I would make sure the rails are a hardwood (not basswood ) or a minimum of a 5 layer plywood (not lite ply ) AND the load they will be taking is spread out. All I would do is give them a coat of clear fuel proof dope after they are glued in place.

By the load spread out, do not glue the rails just between 2 ribs. Extend the rails so they will go through AND be glued to a MINIMUM of 2 ribs on each side of retract opening. The amount of load to spread out will be determined by the weight of the plane, how fast the plane will be landing and if you are flying off of grass or a paved runway.

If this is a kit, the instructions and/or plans will provide that information. If it is an ARF, MOST of the retracts in them are good definitely for paved runways. Again, this is based on the total weight of the plane being within the manufacturer's specs and NORMAL landings.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Ace9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ever so much Campy. Now I understand what the numbers mean. The airplane is actually a Hanger9 P-40 Warhawk which weighs about 8.5 Lbs. I fly it off of a grass runway. You see I am in the process of installing a set of century jet models custom retracts from the stock mechanical ones. I have another post regarding this located at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._1/key_/tm.htm Someone mentioned about strengthening up the rails by using cloth and I became confused when trying to order some, Ace9.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the Hanger 9 stuff is pretty good quality.

With an ARF, it is going be difficult to do anything without tearing the covering up.

My suggestions would be:

Be sure to get retracts that use a 3/16" strut diameter and bolt them in and go fly. If/when the time comes that you need to do repairs (or decide to recover ), then you can beef up the retract rails (if you feel it is necessary). I suggest the 3/16" strut size over the 5/32" because they will hold up better/have less of a tendancy to bend, especially on grass fields.