Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnum 180 4 stroke, or which size on Gas?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum 180 4 stroke, or which size on Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:44 PM
alfredbmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 180 4 stroke, or which size on Gas?

I am planning to buy the GP Super Stearman and build the Dynaflite Super Decathlon Kit and want to buy just one engine to power them, of course one at the time, I was thinking about the Magnum 4 stroke 180 size or go with a Gas engine but I am not sure which one Gas could handle both planes, any advice will be very helpful thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Magnum 180 4 stroke, or which size on Gas?

G 26
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alfredbmor,
I have some experience with Magnum 4-strokes, Zenoah G-26s and G-45s and they're all super engines in my opinion. Some don't like the Magnum 4-stokes but I have just over three years on one without a cranky start or a deadstick yet.
I don't know the weights or power requirements of the GP Super Stearman or the Dynaflite Super Decathlon though, so I'll give you my two cents worth on the engines.
A Zenoah G-26 is 1.6 cubic inches, so it's pretty close to the Magnum 1.80. The Zenoah G-38 is 2.3 cubic inches, so it might be overkill. The G-38 muffler mounts at the rear of the engine and that could be an issue for you too.
I have G-26 in my H9 1.50 P-47, weight nearly 19 lbs, and it pulls it nicely. Not very fast, but just nicely.
The advantage of the gas over glow is that, where a large 4-stroke drinks LOTS of fuel, the 2-stroke gas engine sips an inexpensive gas & oil mixture. However, 2-stroke gas engines can vibrate more than a smooth running 4-stroke.

Mike
Old 11-26-2006, 09:26 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote for the G-26 also. Price is right, it's dead reliable, and has plenty of power for either plane you mentioned. I've seen one in both planes (Super Stearman, Super D). It will fit within the cowl on both, with just a small hole for the carb intake on the Stearman. Get a Pitts-style muffler, it will work with either plane. 18-6 prop seems to be a good choice, too.

Another one to look at, but more expensive, is Evolution's 26cc gasser. Looks like a big glow engine with a Walbro carb. The advantage to this engine is a better fit in narrow cowls, as the carb is in front of the cylinder. It has electronic ignition instead of a magneto.

Also check out Zenoah's G-20ei. I think it would fly the Stearman fine, but the Super D might be a bit much for it. The G-20 seems to have a lot of power for its size, I've seen them turning 18 inch props.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
alfredbmor

Looks like the G-26 is the winner, I still have a doubt, What you guys think of this engine flying at an altitude of nearly 4,000'?
Still strong?
Thanks.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

alfredbmor, I am using the Brillelli 25cc in my Stearman. I have only one flight on it so far. The Stearman is a heavy plane 15+ lbs. It seemed a little mushy on take off, but seemed to fly close to scale. I think with enough runway it will be Ok. Also there isn't much room in the cowl and fuse for a gasser and ignition. I had quite a time getting it all in there. One beautiful airplane.

Enjoy

Bob
Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

Check out www.bcmaengines.com They have some good looking gas engines at a reasonable price. 26cc,40cc,62cc. All the feedback I've heard has been good. I'm starting on a 1/4 scale Nieuport Triplane and plan on trying a BCMA 40cc in it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The G-26 is an excellent engine, but if you want more power for your altitude, try a Fuji 32. I got one of these a year and a half ago, and I am VERY impressed with it!
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
alfredbmor

We are getting close to the critical point, as Bob has mentioned, the G-26 is maybe at the thin line for power. Here at this altitude (4,000’) we must overpower our models a bit to compensate, then maybe the 26 will not be enough for this particular bipe maybe the solution is going to the next gas size just like MinnFlyer has mentioned but, following the Bob idea, maybe this engine will not fit in the Super Stearman Cowl, also I have seen some very negative threads about the Fuji Invac 32 size, I took a look to the GP Super Stearman Manual and found that you need 53 oz (3.3 Lbs) on the nose to balance this bipe (total weight, engine incluided) and it means that there is a wide range of gas engines to place in the nose, but I am really concern about the fitting just as Bob mentioned.
I feel like I need some more information.
Please Help.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Skinny Bob

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

We are getting close to the critical point, as Bob has mentioned, the G-26 is maybe at the thin line for power. Here at this altitude (4,000’) we must overpower our models a bit to compensate, then maybe the 26 will not be enough for this particular bipe maybe the solution is going to the next gas size just like MinnFlyer has mentioned but, following the Bob idea, maybe this engine will not fit in the Super Stearman Cowl, also I have seen some very negative threads about the Fuji Invac 32 size, I took a look to the GP Super Stearman Manual and found that you need 53 oz (3.3 Lbs) on the nose to balance this bipe (total weight, engine incluided) and it means that there is a wide range of gas engines to place in the nose, but I am really concern about the fitting just as Bob mentioned.
I feel like I need some more information.
Please Help.
Thanks.
alfredbmor, I have included some pics of my 25cc engine instalation. As you can see by the pics there is bearly enough room for the engine and ignition module inside the cowl. I cut some of the carb v-stack off to fit without cutting a hole in such a pretty cowl. I had to put the ignition battery in the fuse along side the fuel tank, ( you can see the lead coming out the hole in the firewall. I had to trim some off the bottom of the firewall so the pitts muffler would clear. All and all it worked out OK, the plane balanced without any added weight. I think I would recommend a 40cc engine to anyone wanting to gas the Stearman, but find the smallest one you can. One more thing, Scott from Brillelli gave me a carb with a choke lever and needles pointing toward the cylinder head so when mounted inverted you need just three small holes in the bottom of the cowl for accsess to these adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32315.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	568889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81650.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	568890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25425.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	568891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56627.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	568892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl69874.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	568893  
Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
alfredbmor

Great effort, good job accomplished, looks real good. For sure I will need to go with a larger engine, maybe the 40 cc that you recommend because of the altitude. Maybe one with electronic ignition and the carburetor ahead or backwards of the cylinder head, like the evolution. I have not much information about evolution engines but I think that the first generation is like a test one.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Skinny Bob

I don't think there is enough room in the Stearman, firewall to front of cowl for a front or rear mounted carb.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Prapan

Hi Everyone,

My name is Prapan from Bangkok. I have one Great Plane Super Stearman. In the specification, they recommended 1.20 Four Stroke. But I am planning to put MVVS 35 CC on it. The weight of this engine was about 1.6 kgs including slim line muffer from evolution. The engine was great and can turn MENZ 20 x 8 at 6800 rpm. This engine is looked like the glow engine and easy to install on the Super Stearman.

I have attached the picture of MVVS 35CC for your information. This engine is very good and made in Chezh Republic. Please make sure the strong firewall since it has a bit more vibration compare to others.

Hope this help.
Prapan.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Evolution 26GT is another great gas engine to consider.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
masonman

Are you saying you are at 4000ft, or you are wanting to fly it up to 4000ft? Cause i have an ol camaro with a holly carb an it runs great here in ark, an it ran great in denver, just a lil tuning an it was set
Old 01-29-2007, 08:18 PM
alfredbmor

Elevation here is about 4,000 ft above sea level, I do not know about car engines, I think they have a electronic system to compensate the elevation, at least our cars do. Plane engines does not have any compensation systems and they loss performance because of the elevation.