Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle and steering control

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle and steering control

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle and steering control

What linkage system do most of you use for throttle and steering?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Throttle and steering control

I usually prefer to use a flexible pushrod with a clevis and/or EZ Connector
Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ditto what Minnflyer said!

Ken
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For throttle I use 1/32 cable (flexible). Flow some solder into the cable before you cut it. With a clevise on each end.
For nose gear I try to use a more solid wire like 1/16th welding wire.
I use the cable for the throttle because if you have a premature impact the cable will give and not try to wrench the carb off the motor. Learned that one the hard way from combat.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
scratchonly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use screw lock pushrod connectors at the servo, a flex cable in an inner nyrod and a ball link at the throttle arm. This setup allows fine adjustment to avoid stalled servos. If you don't have clearance between the firewall and throttle arm make a U turn in the cable, flow solder into the U and come back to the throttle arm. Works for me.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Villa

I always try to put in a strain relieve. I turn one of the rods 360 degrees into a circle about 5/8 inch diameter. This way the servo gets some protection in a hard landing/crash.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer a rigid music wire if I can get the servo close enough. Flexible if I have to work around the fuel tank, and I like to use a torque-rod direct to the rudder (with spruce bedded in to take the stress) or else just caster the tailwheel. If I'm doing a nose wheel it's the same as with the throttle. Prefer rigid wire, but will use Gold-n-Rod or -Wire is necessary.

I usually put a "Z" bend on the engine end of the throttle linkage as that never vibrates apart and gives the most clearance (firewall, cowl & mount) and put the clevis on the servo end.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Dr1Driver

Flex cable. I use an EZ connector on the servo end and a nylon clevis on the carb end. You can buy solder-on threaded ends to allow using a threaded clevis. For steering, I use the EZ connector at both ends. The adjustment necessary is not all that precise.

Dr.1
Old 12-22-2006, 08:31 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I tried using a flexible cable for the throttle, and was unimpressed when I had trouble on some occassions getting the throttle to fully open. Now I always use 2-56 push rods with a screw on clevis at the throttle end, and the screw lock connectors on the servo. I also put two 90 degree bends somewhere in the linkage to absorb the shock of inadvertent impact as an added protection for the servo.

As for steering, if I have a nose gear, I use a 4-40 push rod, since I don't want it bending when I'm trying to steer on take off. But I prefer tail draggers. Then I don't have to worry about it. I just put a skid or tail wheel attached to the rudder.

Brad