Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

tips for g.p big stik 40

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tips for g.p big stik 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 PM
top242

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tips for g.p big stik 40

Hi from spain! I need the best performance for this plane, the best engine, dihedral, landing gear bicicle or tricicle original, etc, etc, I need te best performance aerobatic for this plane. Sorry , my english ist very poor
Old 12-31-2006, 07:53 AM
top242

Default RE: tips for g.p big stik 40

????, i need help for this questions . Ist posible transformation for bicicle gear landing?. Thanzs!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Big Stik 60. Construction is about the same as the 40.

I made a gear mount from ¼ inch plywood and glued it inside the fuselage; against the former at the front of the radio compartment. I added triangle stock on top of the plywood, against the fuselage sides. I installed four ¼-20 blind nuts and bolted the stock main gear on with nylon screws.

I glued a balsa block to the bottom of the stabilizer and installed a Dubro tail wheel bracket. I drilled a hole in the side of the fuselage and installed a pushrod to steer the wheel. I found a steering arm at the hobby shop that fit the 3/32 tail wheel wire but do not know what brand it is. In the radio compartment I drilled the former for the pushrod tube. The pictures are blurry. It was cold in my garage and I didn’t stay out very long.

If you do not already have the Big Stik, the Ultra Stick 40 is already a tail dragger and already has a flat wing; and is reportedly more aerobatic than the Big Stik.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18260.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	587607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34998.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	587608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13744.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	587609  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
top242

Thanzs for your response. but, the bicicle land gear, ist better for the expert pilots?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a BS .40 with an OS 70II four-stroke engine on her (13 x 8 prop). Reenforced the firewall with some added triangle stock. It seemed a perfect match up. I converted mine to a tail dragger, but otherwise it was plain old ARF as-is. An excellent plane, I thought. Very nice low speed characteristics; outside loops at half throttle. I had to add 1-1/2oz of lead to the tail, and that's not bad.

One other thing I did was to run 12# test wire (musky) leaders across the landing gear anchored to cotter pins in 1/16" holes I drilled for them. The dural struts supplied were kind of springhy, and this stiffenned them up nicely. At low throttle passes you could hear the wires "sing" and it enhanced the Eindecker image of the model.

An unlucky midair popped the wing clean off. Lawn dart into a rock. Even the engine was in pieces.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: top242

Thanzs for your response. but, the bicicle land gear, ist better for the expert pilots?
The term "bicycle" gear confuses me. I am familiar with two gear types:

Tricycle. This has 2 big wheels behind the center of gravity and 1 big wheel at the nose. This is the delivered gear type for the Big Stik. Most "experts" do not like this type of gear.

Tail dragger. This has 2 big wheels at or near the leading edge of the wing and 1 small wheel at the tail. This seems to be preferred by "experts."

Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
top242

tail dragger, yes, sorry
Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 AM
poolittle

i too am an expert pilot, no?