Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Deadsticks in turns only

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Deadsticks in turns only

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 AM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deadsticks in turns only

I have a TH .75 mounted on its side. As long as i make left turn fly flat or inverted everything is ok. But when i make a hard right turn it dies.Is it cause the motor is inverted at that time?????????????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55797.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	586438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36532.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	586439  
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 AM
davo580

Default RE: Deadsticks in turns only

check you fuel lines or maybe just needs tuning
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 AM
masonman

I have went over everything. I have it tuned in that 3 click sweet spot. I may need a few more rich click. Would it be flooding out or going lean?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 AM
davo580

I only run os. wren mw54 mk3 and da100. in my experience with os openingt needle will richen it. it should blow nice smoke
Old 12-30-2006, 03:39 AM
davo580

is your fuel tank ok? engine feed line in line with the carb?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the direction of the turn matters, it tells you something. The g-force generated by the turn in that direction is doing something. Either a fuel line has the room to move in that direction and that is pinching it or opening a hole in it that can't open othewise. Or there is a hole in the tank that's opening under that force or somesuch. Or the clunk can reach the backwall only with that force. And it's "sealing off" against that wall, or somesuch.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 AM
da Rock

I have it tuned in that 3 click sweet spot. I may need a few more rich click.
"3 click sweet spot"???????

When you've got the needle setting where you want it to fly, do this test. With the throttle wide open, pick up the airplane and point the nose up. The rpm should very slightly speed up. And that's from an increase of just one G. If the engine slows or stops, you got the needle too lean.

BTW, you can try this test holding the plane on it's side. That way you can check it for "right turns" and "left turns" while it's on the ground. And be able to look at what's moving around, and where it's moving to. Look for bubbles appearing in the delivery fuel line for one thing.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: darock

I have it tuned in that 3 click sweet spot. I may need a few more rich click.
"3 click sweet spot"???????

When you've got the needle setting where you want it to fly, do this test. With the throttle wide open, pick up the airplane and point the nose up. The rpm should very slightly speed up. And that's from an increase of just one G. If the engine slows or stops, you got the needle too lean.

BTW, you can try this test holding the plane on it's side. That way you can check it for "right turns" and "left turns" while it's on the ground. And be able to look at what's moving around, and where it's moving to. Look for bubbles appearing in the delivery fuel line for one thing.
I'm thinking the same thing. It's too lean.

Start it and tune it to maximum RPM by leaning 1 click at a time. You'll find that spot where leaning a couple clicks has no effect and then 1 more click makes it slow down. THAT is MAX LEAN. At that point where it was not responding to the needle--thats max lean and then a few more clicks and it slows down from being too lean.

Find max lean and then richen it up 1/4 turn. Thats about 8 clicks.

Go fly it like that and see if it stays running.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:36 PM
masonman

I just replaced all the fuel line on it, However i have not pulled the tank out an looked it over yet. I point it up an trasition the throtttle an adjust the needle, i have been tuning it where it is spiting gue everywhere, an it has a nice smoke trail. I will pill the fuel tank out in a few min an hit it with some air an see what happens. Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM
[]TEX[]

I have found that in my tanks if the pick up line is too long it will stick in a corner on the tank. Then in a turn the pick up won't move to one side or the other in the tank. this will starve the motor of fuel in turn leaning it out.

That may be the issue and it would be a good idea to pull the tank and take a look.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:48 PM
opjose

Try tuning the engine with the plane on it's side. See if you can get it to maintain steady operation with the head down.

The engine may have not been properly tuned to start with.

If you CANNOT get it tuned properly this way, then look to the other reasons already given, especially fuel flow.

I had this problem with a couple of planes and it turn out to be nothing more than poor tuning.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
masonman

Hey rcpilet. I printed what you posted on this thread an took it to the field today. I was the only one there (37 degrees). I tuned it just like you said an it ran all day no deadsticks. I burned almost a full gallon of fuel with it today. I feel so much better about it now, cause this is not the type of plane to deadstick down. This whole time i have been tuneing wrong. Thanks for the tips, you may have saved my plane......Thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Rcpilot

Your welcome. Glad I could help. [8D]
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 PM
masonman

With what you told me needed to be done it runs a lil rough, but when you get it above half throttle an it cleans up it will scream, I bet i had it up around 100mph, I bet with some prop changes i could get 120 out of it. An now that i now you give good advise what would you recomend for it. I have a 13x7 on it now to keep the revs down an i could get cumfy with it. Now i'm ready to start looking at some new props
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM
masonman

With what you told me needed to be done it runs a lil rough, but when you get it above half throttle an it cleans up it will scream, I bet i had it up around 100mph, I bet with some prop changes i could get 120 out of it. An now that i now you give good advise what would you recomend for it. I have a 13x7 on it now to keep the revs down an i could get cumfy with it. Now i'm ready to start looking at some new props
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Rcpilot

If it's still running rough on the low end--you need to adjust the low speed needle a bit. It's too rich. Screw it in 1/4 turn and see if that smooths out the mid range. If that helps--you can lean it 1/8 turn more and see if it gets better. Keep leaning the low speed as you get better and better performance--eventually, it will cough and die when you throttle up. Thats when it's too lean. Back it up rich about 1/8 or 1/4 turn and that should be good.

Now go back and set the high speed needle again. The needles effect one another. Lean the low end and it effects the high end. Lean the high end and it effects the low end. The needles work together. So, after making adjustments to the low speed needle--you should go back and check the high speed again. Lean it to peak and then back it up about 6--8 clicks.

Speed prop? Master Airscrew 11-7.5 is what Flyboy Dave uses on his speed planes. He says it loads the engine right and gives good speed. Or you could try a 12-8.

The 13 blade is good for lots of thrust, but if you want speed, then you need to increase the pitch and drop the diameter down to let the engine rev--but still provide good forward speed with the higher pitch. [8D]
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
No Master Airscrew will ever perform better than a APC, RAM or Bolly ...Go with a 11x7 or 11x8 APC...or a 12x6 APC.
Been racing those Little Toni's in different forms since 1980.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Rcpilot

Yes it will. Try it sometime.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: masonman

I have a TH .75 mounted on its side. As long as i make left turn fly flat or inverted everything is ok. But when i make a hard right turn it dies.Is it cause the motor is inverted at that time?????????????
Once I had an airplane develop the habit of going lean when inverted. Found a piece of trash in the carburetor. Removed the trash and the problem went away. Never did know why the engine only exhibited the lean trait when upside down.

Bill
Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
da Rock

Never did know why the engine only exhibited the lean trait when upside down.
Probably a combination of two things, neither of which alone would do it.

The trash probably was inhibiting the engine both ways. But when upright, your needle setting (done upright) and the tank location and the plumbing routing didn't add to the leanout the trash was causing. And the engine only leaned a bit. Not enough to really notice.

But when inverted, the tank location or something like that then added some more leaning to the mix. And when they're already a little lean (from the trash) and a bit hotter than usual, a little more leaning winds up being more leaning than it'd be by itself. And it was enough to notice.

But who knows for sure.........

Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 AM
masonman

JAKA, I plan on getin an apc for it. I have mas on all my fat winged floaters an they work good. I got the 13x7 mas for this one just to get the feel of the plane an to keep it from really winding up.The apc is clearly what is needed for a plane like this.The mas on this plane makes a funky noise at about 3/4 throttle,a high pitched fluttering noise. Only one of my mas to do that