Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

The Big Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

The Big Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
paulhenley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Big Question

hi all

i don't think i've seen this anywhere else on the site so here goes....

Nitro Vs. Electric

Simle question is .. whats more popular?

My vote is nitro; cheap, lite and eaven tho more costly to run ...

Please alll reply and vote... i think that this could get quite interesting ...

Henley

Old 12-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Flying freak

Default RE: The Big Question

ok this is a really complicated question if you just want i big fight and for peopel to get angered and for the forum to look like were all 2 years old you got the question

Now if you want a sirous anwsere here it goes for me, I prefer nitro i like it because i like tunning engins its one of those things were i like the smell and sound of a nice running engine. havning said that electri does have its place with todays laws you cannot fly a glow model in a park or school yard but you can get an electric park flier and still enjoy flying without other peopel getting mad at you.

so i prefer nitro but i also see were electri is usefull/needed
Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to vote for nitro. Nothing better than the smell of nitro in the mourning. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I have been flying R/C for 30 years. I have flown gas and glow the whole time.
In the eighties I had an electric plane. It was expensive and could not come close to glow performance.
In the last few years, I have bought more and more eletric stuff. It is still very expensive.
But, the performance is phenomenal. Glow Vs. Electric is like Apples Vs. Oranges.
Glow planes can go 200 MPH. So can electrics! Glow planes can 3D. So can electrics!
Electric helicopters can now compete toe to toe with glow helis.
Since I have both electric and glow, I can't see going with just one or the other.
For a quick fix, I fly small electric planes and helis' in my back yard.
If I have the time, I take my glow planes & helis' and large electrics to the flying field.
Doug
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I, too, prefer fuel-type planes over electrics. I started out this way, and already have a substantial investment in support equipment for glow and gas and would have to add the stuff particular to electrics. Plus, I like my planes to SOUND like planes. I'm not against electrics, many guys at the field are bringing some nice electrics to the field, and it's kind of funny to listen to them talk about them ; almost like a foreign language. Things like how many amps does your motor draw, or how many kilowatts, discussion about the best ESC, etc, that doesn't mean much to a "fuelly" like me. It's impressive though, to watch some of these planes out perform another fuel plane of the same type and size.

I won't try to recommend one over the other; I think it's something you'll have to decide after looking closely at both and seeing what fits best in what you want out of the hobby.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
paulhenley

ye i agree with the tuning and sound issue with nitro...

lecky stuff is good but too expensive and scary to a nitro people in the way that with lecky stuff you seem to have to have a certian motor for a certian esc which can only be used with certian batteries which need certian chargers all which can only swing certian props without going horribly wrong ......
but their performance does seem good

jst another chip...

Henley ......

p.s impressive.. no fists have been swung yet ...
Old 01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
nickj

Excellent question, and not nearly as controversial as, say, ARFs vs. kits. I fly both, and like different aspects of each. Performance is a non-issue--you can get great performance from either (although I don't like the performance fall-off with electrics). With electrics, I don't like charging batteries all the time, especially the LiPos. With glo, I don't like the mess. The cost, to me, seems about the same. I enjoy getting the little glo-engines to run, and I like the sound. I don't enjoy the occasional finger bruise, or lugging the starter to the flight line to avoid it. I also don't enjoy the occasional flame-out, but this is rare.