Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Towing a trailer with a Dodge Caravan

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Towing a trailer with a Dodge Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a trailer with a Dodge Caravan

I just got an 06 with the 3.8L engine but no towing package. I'm looking into getting a 5 X 8 or 5 X10 trailer which weighs about 900 to 1000lbs. I figure it will weigh about 1400 to 1500 when it's loaded with planes and equpment. The van manual says its towing capacity is 2000 lbs. Just wondering if anyone is towing with a Caravan with this setup and how it handles the trailer. I will only be towing once a week and usually no more than 40 miles each way. Pretty flat terrain as well. Thanks.

Marty
Old 01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Towing a trailer with a Dodge Caravan

I do not see any problem. We have a guy in our club towing a five by eight with a four banger. A little slow going up the hill to our site, but he always gets there.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

There is one answer to your problem F - O - R - D
Old 01-03-2007, 04:10 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I have an '02 Caravan with the 3.3. Mine has the Dodge 2" reciever hitch installed (aftermarket installer) and I regularly tow a 5x14 with two quads and two dirtbikes. I never weighed the trailer loaded, but would guess in the 2100/2200 lb range.

I make sure to take it out of OD on ANY type of hill. Been doing this for over a year without any problems. Power to tow the trailer was never a problem. The OD on the Caravan tranny is the weak link not the engine.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Pulled a 6x10 and had no trouble. Once in the hills of Tenn. could not go over 70 up-hill. Went down hill faster that made up for the long climb. Dennis
Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: afterburner

I just got an 06 with the 3.8L engine but no towing package. I'm looking into getting a 5 X 8 or 5 X10 trailer which weighs about 900 to 1000lbs. I figure it will weigh about 1400 to 1500 when it's loaded with planes and equpment. The van manual says its towing capacity is 2000 lbs. Just wondering if anyone is towing with a Caravan with this setup and how it handles the trailer. I will only be towing once a week and usually no more than 40 miles each way. Pretty flat terrain as well. Thanks.

Marty
With this engine and car this trailer will be no problems what so ever, just remember that the numbers on you auto box like 1 and 2 are there for situations like towing a trailer up hill, shift to a lower gear and then let the increase in torque pull you up, it is what the semi's will do.

J
Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should tow the trailer just fine. I have an older Caravan, '92, with a 3.3 and I have towed quite a few trailers with no problems. As far as the trans, check your owners manual. On some models, you need to tow in Overdrive, or others in Drive. My manual specifies to leave the trans in overdrive when towing. Works fine with no problems and downshifts at the right times.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
JPGale

ORIGINAL: macdona

I do not see any problem. We have a guy in our club towing a five by eight with a four banger. A little slow going up the hill to our site, but he always gets there.
I know I might start a flame war here, but american cars are way underpowered for the size of engines they have, but they do have good torque.

If you give me a 5x8 trailer, a 1.5L 4 banger and a manual transmission I could tow that up most hills, obvoiusly the biggest hills would be a problem.

James
Old 01-03-2007, 09:47 PM
afterburner

Thanks guys. Just needed to hear from some people towing with these vans as I don't think I've seen one van around here towing anything. All I see is pickups and SUV's doing all the towing.

Marty
Old 01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Henry Pel
My Feedback: (7)

I've had two Caravan's
first 2000 Grand Caravan - w/ 3.8 NOTE it had the upgraded suspension and tranny cooler -> just no hitch from factory
towed a 12 foot hardtop camping trailer no problems through western Canada mountains.

2'nd is 2003 Grand with same 3.8 - has heavy duty transmission and tranny cooler but no quite as heavy suspension
- did a test tow on a 17-19 foot hardside trailer - did pull it but boy did it need trailer anti sway bars

Make sure to have at least the tranny cooler and preferably the heavy trans.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The only problem I see is that the trailer is never big enough. You start with a 5x8, then 6x10 and so on. Now I have a 7x14 and wish I had a 8x16. So next you buy a bigger truck all because BH has a 50% Edge on the market. Dennis
Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
sowega flyer

Even though you are in pretty flat terrain, towing puts a huge stress on the transmission. Your caravan should be able to pull the trailer you mentioned just fine, but put a transmission cooler on it- especially if you plan to keep the van for any length of time. They are not expensive (around 40 bucks) and if you can build an R/C airplane, you can install it yourself inside of 30 minutes. Chances are, the transmission has a cooling line going to the radiator already, but the extra cooling is necessary for towing.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
brent0609

Hey all, just browsing threads here. I have a old boat trailer with a wooden box built on it. I would be scared of how much it bounces for my rc stuff. Also would just like to say Hi to Henery Pel! Im suprised to see someone from Beaumont on here. I live just east off of highway 21. Imagine you fly at the leduc club? PS im thinking my wife should get something else to drive soon, ill take the minivan remove all the seats. And will have more room for my planes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you, from experience, you can put 5 big birds in a Grand Caravan, if take all the extra seats.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 PM
afterburner

Before I bought the '06 Grand Caravan, I had a '96 Grand Caravan. For the last five years of it's life, it was my plane van. This did not make the wife happy and when it was time to get another family van, she didn't want it smelled up and unusable because of planes sitting in it. Hence the trailer idea.

Marty
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Dzlstunter

I have a '97 Grand Caravan which has a factory-approved, dealer-installed hitch on it. (Actually, I got it from a guy who had it on his, but traded it in on a newer one. He had the same thing added to his new Caravan when he bought a new one!) Good luck, Dzl