Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recovering

Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 PM
dhf363

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering

[sm=71_71.gif]Hi Im looking for a little help with recoving a older plane with newer covering. I recently aquired an !/4 scale Endecker D.VIII its covered with older cloth and dope method then painted with acrilyic colours. It looks good but its dirty and grundgy for kicking around for a few years. I would like to remove the old covering and replace it with one of the new choices of the covering that is out there for the lozenge type figureing that it should be quite alot lighter than the present covering and give it a face lift. I spoke to a guy from the local club about it but he more or less said I was crazy to want to go down that road and didnt really give me a reason as to why. I was hoping that someone might have some previous experence doing this or somewhere there might be some information about doing this project.
Thanks Derek
Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Recovering

First, did it fly well (power/weight) with its present covering? Is the present covering intact, or are there large rips or areas of missing cover? Have you tried to clean the present cover? Are there any structural repairs needed that can't be made with the cover in place? Most of the guys that I fly WWI stuff with try to make their cover jobs look dirty and worn. If you consider the conditions these planes operated under and the fact they weren't built with longevity in mind, you could consider that your model already has those "weathering" details. Can you post some pictures?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
dhf363

Hi Im just on the way out the door for today I can get some pictures later but to answer the questions I can, yes it did fly well, on the heavy side which made for fast landings but I can live with that. The stains I was talking about where like soot stains and what not ,from being stored in a basment with a wood stove. There dosent seem to be any damage Ive been able to find but unfortuatly the gentleman that built it passed away only a few days after I purchased it so I wasn't able to speak to him. Ill get the pictures later tonight when I get home.
Thanks Derek
Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 AM
dhf363

The pictures of the palne are posted in my gallery.
Derek
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Gosh, I think I would try cleaning that with some mild detergent, and maybe some diluted 409 for the tough spots before I even considered recovering. You must be somewhat a perfectionist. It looks good to me.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
dhf363

Yeah I agree with you it does look good but im trying to shave off a few pounds. There is a few spots Im kinda worried are going to end up ripping and making the problem worse. I have been trying to scare up a scale to find out the actual wieght of it to see if I would even gain much but right now I dont have anything suitable. Trust me I tried to take close ups of the paint but I couldnt get a good result it has some stain that you cant see in the pictures. Ill try again and see if I can get any better.
Thanks for the response.
Derek