Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracoat Repair Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracoat Repair Question

Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracoat Repair Question

Hello everyone,

I have enclosed a couple of pictures of my recently acquired Extra 300. Even though you cannot see it, there are a couple of small tares in the white covering immediately next to the "R" in the word "AERO". It would be a simple fix if it weren't for the fact that the nearest balsa is the cap strips on the wing ribs which are both either under the letter "R" or on the other side of the letter. The letters are custom graphics that there is no way I can match. Does anyone have any advice on how I can patch the tares while avoiding the graphics? My saving grace may be that I can get to the inside of the wing at the tares by removing one of the servos. Any advice on how I can fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fly safe and have fun !!!
David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19459.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	594268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67739.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	594269  
Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 PM
rwright142

Default RE: Ultracoat Repair Question

I have used clear packing tape on Monocote. Just place enough to cover the tear and go fly. Clean the surfaces first. I have had to replace some tape where fuel residue got underneath but it was easy to replace.

I don't specifically know about Ultracoat so I cannot guarantee it will work the same.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Just clean the area around the tear with Acetone. Cut a small piece of UltraKote to cover the tear.

Warm up your iron to about 250 and lay the patch over the tear. Gently lay the iron on the
patch and hold for a few seconds. Keet the weight off the iron, just let it warm the patch
thoroughly.

UltaKote, at this temp will not stretch. You should have no problems. I use
this method very often and it is very easy and you can't tell where the patch is
if you use the same color, unless you know where its at.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

When I repair an isolated hole in covering I cut my patch in the shape of a five pointed star or sometimes a diamond. It seems to look better than a round circle or a square.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
hrrcflyer

Thanks Guy's. I appreciate it.

Fly safe and have fun!!!
David