Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GOOD PAINT

Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
rcm243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOOD PAINT

WHERE CAN I FIND SOME GOOD PAINT IN A CAN THAT CAN BE USED IN A SMALL SPRAY GUN OR AIR BRUSH, I`M TALKING ABOUT 8OZ CANS THAT YOU CAN MIX TO YOUR OWN CONSISTENCY.
I`VE USED AUTOMOTIVE PAINT AND IT WORKS WELL BUT YOU CAN`T BIT IN LESS THAN A GALLON.
THATS A BIT MORE THAN I WOULD USE TO PAINT A COWLING OR WING STRUTS. IS HOBBY POXY STILL ON THE MARKET? OR SOMETHING SIMILAR? RCM
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GOOD PAINT

Hobby Poxy is no longer. Neither is K&B Super Poxy. EPA stuff put them under. However you can find an excellent epoxy at Klass Kote. I used to use K&B Super Poxy on my racing boats but my supply ran out. I now use Klass Kote and it's just as good or better.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

John: I am purchasing paint equipment. I want to start painting my own planes. I have the compressor, a Paasche VL air brush set and am now looking at HVLP detail guns.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the HVLP gun, but I do want decent looking finishes. I am definately going to use KlassKote paints.

Any tips, suggestions that you could give me regarding potential HVLP guns, painting techniques, mixing tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My compressor is a 21 gal. and puts out 8.8 CSFM at 40 PSI. What size gun do I need. My planes generally run in the 55 to 90 " wingspan area.

Some say they get good result with Harbor Freight guns (model??) I am currently looking at two or three that run in price range from $60 (HF) to $145 (TJR Techline Jr.)

Can you help me.

Jim
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
rcm243

SAFE BET. LOWE`S HAS A VERY GOOD HVLP SMALL GRAVITY FEED GUN FOR FORTY DOLLARS, I`VE GOT ONE AND IT CAN BE DIALED DOWN TO WORK AS FINE AS AN AIR BRUSH OR OPEN IT UP AND REALLY PUT THE PAINT OUT. I USED TO BUILD 18 FT. DRAG BOATS AND I USED THIS GUN TO DO THE STRIPING ON THE BOATS, I`VE USED THIS LITTLE GUN ON SCALE PLANES AND I WOULD RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE. RCM
Old 01-10-2007, 12:28 PM
rcm243

WHO SELLS KLASS KOTE PAINT? I`D LIKE TO TRY IT. THANKS RCM
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Safebet

www.klasskote.com Here's your link. Great people. You can call them and they will help in everyway they can.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Square Nozzle

Safebet, I'm at about the same stage you are with painting equipment except I have a Binks Airbrush with a 2 gallon compressor. I'm also looking for a good HVLP gun. I've looked at Walmar (?) but as you said, it's pricey ($200+) but it requires only about 6 SCFM at low pressure. It's got a good following by serious painters. The Binks has been my mainstay for many models but it's slow going and lots of paint in the air. How about painting my 1/4 scale Tiger Moth with an air brush? I have to really open it up to make decent progress in painting. Do a search for HVLP and see what's out there. I'll certainly look at the gun that RCM234 is suggesting.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Safebet

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=5082

http://www.spraygunworld.com/product...CATMiniJet.htm

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...HVLP&Submit=Go

These are 3 of the guns I have been looking at. They range in price from $145.00, 99.00 and 59.00.

I will look into the Lowe's gun that RCM234 mentioned, also.

I haven't tried my airbrush , yet. How wide a pattern can you spray with the big needle?

I am going to practice this weekend some. It is a double action Paasche VL.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Square Nozzle

Jim, I have a 'C' needle in my Binks and it gives me about a 1 to 1 1/2" round pattern. The 'C' needle is the largest for my gun I believe. If someone knows how to get a larger pattern out of a Binks Wren C airbrush, I'd love to know.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both WarbirdColors and Nelson Hobby sell fuel proof paint that can be easily sprayed through HVLP equipment.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Safebet

John: This is the first plane I will be painting. The wings are not attached cause I am prepping the fuselages. The wingspan will be about 86". Pretty large plane to spray with an airbrush, I think.

I am going to practice with the airbrush this weekend. I'll get some kind of idea.

Thanks Richard for the sources for paints. Currently, I am going to use KlassCote paints. But I have a J-3 Cub that I might do in "Warbird" colors when I get it built. I will add those to my paint sources list.

Richard, if you have any hints or tips for us novices, advice on HVLP guns, etc., please feel free to donate them to a worthy cause, me.

I am going to hit Lowe's in the next couple of days and see what they got. I have looked at the Harbour Freight guns, and although some contributors to RCU have said they do a good job, some parts on them do look kinda cheap. They are made in China, but probably, so are most of the others?????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90417.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	595585  
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Square Nozzle

Jim, I'm of the same frame of mind that you are regarding the HVLP guns. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for to a great extent. The cheaper guns may do a very good job of spraying but can you find parts like seals, paint cups and needles when the need comes? I may have a chance to look at RCM's gun tonight on my way home from work. I go right past Lowes. I'm also investigating a "break down" spray booth for my shop. Something about 10' by 10' with a duct boost fan (about 8") to push the overspray outside. I'm getting kinda tired of getting complaints about the paint smell in the house. It doesn't bother me but my wife complains. I can turn on the attic fan to clear the house but when its cold outside it really sucks the heat out with the paint smell.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Safebet

Thanks, John. Let me know what you think after your visit to Lowe's. Also, interest in booth. Keep me informed.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Safebet

founds links to Lowe's and Home Depot. The Home Depot gun looks more like what I'm thinking about, John.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gmk.0&MID=9876

Lowe"s

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0AV&lpage=none
Old 01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Safebet

John on the Home Depot link, type in "Spray Guns" in the top right upper corner
Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Square Nozzle

My observations:

The Home DEpot gun is a big gun suitable for spraying cars etc. It's not a detail gun. 2.5 pounds is a lot of gun.

Lowes doesn't even show an HVLP gun. Maybe the store has otherwise.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Square Nozzle

I stopped at Lowes and HD, Both have HVLP guns but they are production size. Much larger that I want for spraying models. The CAT from Spray Gun World looks interesting. So does the Walmar (?) gun and the SATA. Both of those are pricey though. Maybe Uncle Sam has a big tax refund set aside for me. Another thing to consider is the small guns require much less air so a monster compressor isn't necessary. Although, I did see a nice 30 gallon stand up compressor at Lowes when I was brousing. Cast Iron pump too.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Safebet

Of all that I have looked at I like the TJR Techline Jr. by CAT the best. $145.00 is about all I want to spend. I sure can't afford a Sata. I will probably order the CAT.
My compressor is adequate for whatever I want to get. I know that painting is a lot more expensive than just covering with UltraKote.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Square Nozzle

I'm looking at the CAT offering also. If you get one soon, let me know how you like it. It is highly recommended by Spray Gun World as being on a performance level with SATA.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Square Nozzle

Jim, I got my CA Mini Tech Jr HVLP gun in the mail yesterday. Didn't have time to use it because of a meeting to attend but the gun is very nice quality. Feels good in your hand with either the plastic or metal cup installed. The instructions are a little sparse with regards to adjusting for proper paint delivery. All the controls are identified but when they talk about uneven atomization they don't explain how to correct it. This will be a learning process. Fortunately I'll only be spraying an initial coat of Stits Poly Brush on my 1/4 scale Tiger moth wing.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Safebet

Great, John. I haven't ordered mine, yet, but hope to do so in the next couple of weeks. Money problem.

Let me know how it works. I think this gun will be just what we need to spray our models. I am really looking forward to it.

Keep me informed.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 AM
SPLIT S

Sharpe manufacturing makes a line of guns called Finex. They were brought out to compete with the low end import type equipment. The adavntage with the Sharpe is that you can get replacement parts where with most others you can have a hard time finding anything. Sharpe is a brand name company that has been in the spray equipment business for a long time. Even though I prefer Devilbiss and SATA it's hard to beat the Sharpe for the price. Here on the east coast you can get one for under $100.00.

Dan
Old 01-30-2007, 12:56 PM
bofrcr

Hey Guy's! Good thread! I've been in the hobby over 40 years,,(and still learning a lot),,I'd done regular paint in my time too,, got a nice compressor,, guns,, etc. For the several years, I've been using spray cans!! Yep! LOL (I haven't touched the spray gun in a while,,) I've found that there's spary cans that have an adjustable "nozzle",,on them,, and they produce a FLAT spray pattern! (you adjust the pattern for horizontal or vertical pattern) The better paint I've found I get from the local Ace hardware store,, the house name for it is "RUST STOP" (hmmm,,generic rustoleum?) I've found an UNCANNY resemblance,,to that monocote match spray,,(can't think of the name right now) LOL They have primer in 3 colors white,,grey,, and red. Your PRIMER COLOR is VERY important too! one of the problems with that monoke stuff,, only one color!! And,,a 16 oz can is,,(was?),,$3.60 !! (btw,,check the amount u get in that other stuff,,only 10 oz !!) The RUST STOP is glow fuel RESISTANT,,(lots of clear coats out there that are fuel proof, I fly gas,, so not a problem) And,, because I have a choice in primer colors,, I can get a better match to the pre-colored type of coverings,, cloth type included!! I've done some primer testing to determine the correct "shade" of the color,,I'll spray 3 vertical stripes of primer about 6" wide,, of each color primer on something scrap,,let it dry for a couple of days,, then spray the paint,,HORIZONTAL,,accross,, let that dry a couple of days too, then check the match with the covering material,, that's been ironed on something,, it's a lot closer in many cases then that other "stuff" ,, and,, btw,, KRYLON spray paint has camo colors and clear coat they advertise as DEAD FLAT !! no "semi" gloss!! (some camo paints will get a semi-gloss to them,,if too much color goes on),, Ok just my 2 cents worth
Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Square Nozzle

Jim, TJR update. I used the gun last night to spray Stits Poly Brush on the wing of my Tiger Moth in prep for putting on the rib stitches and finishing tape. It worked fine once I got the fluid and air adjusted to where I thought it was supposed to be. Every thing went fine considering I was spraying on bare fabric. Got some uneven atomization resulting in some heavy coverage in areas but it all settled out very nicely. After all that, I came to the conclusion that I need a regulator at the gun so I called Spray Gun World about a mini regulator. In the conversation I learned that I was spraying at to low a pressure at the gun. Should have been at 23 to 32 PSI instead of the 10 PSI I had tried to use. The instructions said to set the gun at 10PSI but I have since found out that they meant 10 PSI at the air cap not at the air supply inlet. It's a different world, this HVLP stuff compared to the Binks Air Brush I have used for years. The TJR sure covered faster than the air brush and lots less overspray. But I still got *****ed at by my wife when she got home for "stinking up the house". I thought it was all cleared out. Gotta build a spray booth next.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Safebet

Great, John: Thanks for the update and the tip about pressure. I am going to order mine in the next 7 - 10 days. Just waiting for the tax refund. I am going to order the paint at the same time.

You did get the TJR Techline Jr.. The $145.00 gun, correct? I want to order the one you ordered. I am anxious to give it a try. I will be spraying on coverlite. It is a close weave fabric. I don't think it's called coverlite, tho, but similar.

Thanks again, for the report. Keep me posted with your progress.

Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.