Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RC magazines rant...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC magazines rant...

Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 AM
mtwister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC magazines rant...

Ok, so I noticed there are heli mags, backyard flier mags, electric mags etc... so why must the "other two" main stream mags puts electric and heli's in their mags??? I am sorry, but I could care less about heli's, and don't even get me started about electrics. It drives me insane that I suscribe to the two, only to be interested in 3 articles of one mag this month, and one article in the other. Geesh, ok, sorry! Rant over.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: RC magazines rant...

Well mtwister,
If you don't like it, don't subscribe. I am surprised at all the heli mags too.
I think their are about four mags dedicated to helis right now.
Electric helis have become the fastest growing segment of our hobby.
But, there are still more glow plane flyers out there than any other portion R/C aircraft.
Since I fly slimers, electrics and helis , I appreciate all the articles that you have no interest in.
I read most magazines cover to cover. Even the articles that I find boring or for newbees.
Some of us crave the education, others don't!
Model aviation has become incredibly diverse over the last 2 decades.
Get used to electrics, they are here to stay! I love flying my glow planes and helis.
But, I hate slimy oil all over my models! So, I fly more electrics than glow.
On the other hand, I hate charging batteries all the time.
The fact is, I get bored with every aircraft at some point.
So, I am glad that I have a little bit of every aspect of the hobby.
Not to mention being able to help other R/Cer's that are venturing into a new aspect for their first time.
Helping others is my favorite part of the hobby.
Doug
Old 01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

To expand on mtwister, you can add arfs to the 'I could care less" list. So what good are the magazines to me? NO GOOD AT ALL! I get much more from the forums than I do from the rags they call model magazines. I got my latest mag last night and went through it in about 5 minutes. As to Dougs suggestion, when June 2008 comes along, that magazine is history. I'll have the AMA mag to catch up on the latest advertisements and use the forums to discuss building and finishing techniques. The rare building article (that's Building, not arf assembly) is for electrics more often than not so again "NO GOOD AT ALL".

End of my rant!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
mtwister

I'll make a deal with ya, when I see a full scale Edge or Extra electric at the next airshow, I'll give electrics a consideration but until then, electrics are meant to run the power in my house and that's about it for me

Oh, and the magazine subscriptions were gifts, so when they expire they wont be getting my money to renew. LOL...
ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

Well mtwister,
If you don't like it, don't subscribe. I am surprised at all the heli mags too.
I think their are about four mags dedicated to helis right now.
Electric helis have become the fastest growing segment of our hobby.
But, there are still more glow plane flyers out there than any other portion R/C aircraft.
Since I fly slimers, electrics and helis , I appreciate all the articles that you have no interest in.
I read most magazines cover to cover. Even the articles that I find boring or for newbees.
Some of us crave the education, others don't!
Model aviation has become incredibly diverse over the last 2 decades.
Get used to electrics, they are here to stay! I love flying my glow planes and helis.
But, I hate slimy oil all over my models! So, I fly more electrics than glow.
On the other hand, I hate charging batteries all the time.
The fact is, I get bored with every aircraft at some point.
So, I am glad that I have a little bit of every aspect of the hobby.
Not to mention being able to help other R/Cer's that are venturing into a new aspect for their first time.
Helping others is my favorite part of the hobby.
Doug
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
saramos

As a person who is most interested in building, I no longer subscribe to any magazines. I do, on occasion, pick up a mag at the LHS if something catches my eye. That's becoming a more rare occurrence.

Scott
Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Square Nozzle

I've read that there is a magazine in the UK that is a pretty good representation of what we desire. Any of our friends in the UK care to expound on that observation?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
mtwister

I've actually read a few of the UK mags recently, and they were great, except I need a UK slang dictionary to understand what they meant on a few occasions, lol...

I'd love to see a giant scale gasser only mag!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 PM
firstplaceaviator

ORIGINAL: mtwister

I'll make a deal with ya, when I see a full scale Edge or Extra electric at the next airshow, I'll give electrics a consideration but until then, electrics are meant to run the power in my house and that's about it for me

Oh, and the magazine subscriptions were gifts, so when they expire they wont be getting my money to renew. LOL...

The full scale Edge may not be as far off as you might think! Boing is testing an electric plane right now!
Also, check out this link to an electric car video. Although it isn't a plane, it is quicker than some of the worlds fastest super cars!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...tric+car&hl=en

I would also like to add that you guys are all right. There needs to be a magazine that caters to building and flying models.
I think there are enough builders out there to support it! (Are you listening publishers?)
Although I have a few ARF's, I have many many more planes that I built from kits.
The ARF craze has taken a lot of the individuality out of this hobby.
Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88478.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	595662  
Old 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL Y'all should hear the helicopter guys that gripe about never getting coverage!

Try RC Report, good articles every month by some master builders and no helicopters. (i subscribe anyways)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM
CoosBayLumber

Who does it affect?

About two months ago, I got done doing a new model plan for a kit manufacturer in New York state. He was in a hurry. Afterwhich, I mentioned, "wadda you trying to meet the cut off date or schedule for Model Airplane News?"

He wouldn't spend ten cents in advertising nor a subscription to the "ARF Magic" magazine as he referred to it. Zero market there.

Well how about "__________" they are hot on electrics.
Nope, waste of money for there are no real builders in their subscription base. Their customers only want to spend money on airplanes, not on glues.

I won't tell you which magazine the announcement and advertising dollars went to, but the manufacturers sure know the market.

Wm.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

LOL Y'all should hear the helicopter guys that gripe about never getting coverage!

Try RC Report, good articles every month by some master builders and no helicopters. (i subscribe anyways)
Yeah, but Gordon is allowing the various contributing editors to become embroiled in the ARF vs I/C argument. Guess which side of the fence they are falling on? There is a section of R.C. Report that is dedicated to electrics. So far, most of the guys who I see flying electrics, are the same guys who had the pocket protectors in High School (the ones who were in the A.V. club) I doo not patently hate the electric planes, I just have no desire to own one. I'm not nuts about the ARF's as a general rule, however, I do understand the need for them (the guys whose schedule preclude them from being able to build). I, too have seen the Limey mags, and while they have several good issues, they also normally dedicate each issue to one particular airplane, with several variants thereof. I recall, the last one that I bought was dedicated to the Curtiss Hawk and all it's variants. There were glow and electric versions featured.

Back to the R.C. Report thing, We all know that Pettit goes both ways (build and ARF). The Aussie, seems to be the engine guy, but he just fell out on the side of the ARF's in one of his last columns. Dick Watz seems to be the lone builder in the group, and the guy that took over the Scale Column is definately in favor of the ARF. Gordon, seems to fly anything with wings. While they appear to be the last bastion for honest reporting, they are moving away from my comfort zone.

Back when R.C. Scale Modeller was a viable offering, it was my favorite. Norm Goyer was the editor, and Norm hated aerobats. We (he and I) went nose to nose about that on several occasions. I do not think that a publication will ever be offered that suits our (I/C) tastes. Money talks loudly, and publisher's listen. I guess, to summarize, this forum is where I will stay, and learn to endure the militant ARFer's, and proponents of electrification among us.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-12-2007, 10:50 AM
rcmiket

Nowdays writers need to go "both ways" to apeal to all readers. As a long time reader of R/C Report my take is that the writers just say that ARF's have there place in our sport. For the money its still the best out there. I used to read Goyer's stuff but found it lacking in any info, nice pictures but no content. I won't even get into the Model Aviation battle. I guess there's no perfect mag out there one thing for sure there disappearing.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
da Rock

I happen to like ARFs and what they contribute to the hobby, but truth is, what good is a magazine build article on an ARF? Jeez, they come with an assembly guide. And you get almost nothing more from magazine articles than another assembly guide. Oh yeah, and a lot of heated rhetoric about how excited the assembler is and what a wonderful deal that ARF happens to be. Worthless.......

A couple of the ARFs I've assembled were also covered by major magazines. Those articles were truly worthless to me. You don't usually learn a single thing worthwhile in those things that wasn't better covered in the assembly manuals. And the manuals were usually written by someone to whom English is their 3rd or 4th language.

Getting past the redundancy issue, the magazine articles could be of value if the authors wrote their advertising copy a bit later than the day after the first successful outing. I have had two ARFs that had fatal flaws that didn't show up the on the first outing. One of them had way too weak materials in the fuselage aft the wing. It was basically 1/4" balsa longerons back there. They were failing by the 5th or 6th flight. And another ARF's wing joiner and the bulkhead it went into were absolutely insufficient for the intended use of the airplane. The lousy plywood used in the wing locating tab was basically one ply plywood. It was actually 3 ply. The center one had veneers on either side, basically. And the primary wood was little more than hard balsa. It wasn't balsa, but wasn't much stronger. And that's what was in the fuselage bulkhead the wing tab inserted into. And the wing tab was made up of two pieces of the same junk. On the 2nd outing, I noticed the wing was loosening up in the front. Both the bulkhead and wing's tab were crushing each other when the wing was stressed. You'd think the manufacturer of a Sukhoi 31 model would have the sense to know that wing connection was going to see some stressing.

And I've got an Ultimate that has a very important structure that is also somewhat unique to the model. A recent review didn't even mention it. No pictures. No words.

Guys used to read magazine build articles to read about the design details, the whats and whys. And you looked for mention of different building techniques to be mentioned. And they were. You learned how to build and design from them. What do you learn from what amounts to nothing more than a few pictures and a glowing report of whether or not the covering was wrinkled?

Yeah, today's ARF assembler isn't reading to learn shop skills or design skills, but that's not what he COULD get out of those magazine articles. And truth is, he's getting almost nothing..... other than another dose of advertising.

What's really a joke is the chest-thumping some magazines do about "using the supplied hardware". Like that gives real insight into the quality of the stuff. I've yet to see any hardware that won't last for a day or two.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
HighPlains

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to let you guys know where I find model magazines worth reading - in my old archives.

I find far more interesting stuff in 30, 40, even 50 year old magazines. The ARF and electric content is about right too.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
rctrax

Since RC Modeling is all about emulating full scale airplanes, when I see full scale airplanes flying on electric power [not just some freak non-practacal experiment] I MIGHT try electric flight.Till then I will continue to enjoy RC Modeling with my IC powered aircraft.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
firstplaceaviator

rctrax
I would agree to an extent that modeling is about emualating full scale flight (scale models only). But, model aviation has always set the pace for full scale.
Leonardi DaVinci, and other great inventors were flying model airplanes hundreds of years before manned flight happened. also, models are used to devolop full scale planes.(most notably today would be the scram jet, it is being devolped using R/C. once it is perfected, we will have full scale hypersonic planes!)
So, to me, model aviation is not about emulating full scale flight. It is about doing things with planes that real planes can't do yet.
The technology that we develop benefits full scale much more than full scale benefits us.
Doug
Old 01-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Square Nozzle

Big deal!, So what!, etc. etc. The magazine content is still garbage.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
sowega flyer

I paid for a subscription to Model Airplane News, but all I got was an advertisement.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Square Nozzle

Any input on RC Report Magazine? They claim unbiased reporting on products and less than 40% of the magazine content is ads.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM
rcmiket

I really enjoy it and have for sometime now. It really reads well, good mix on most topics(except helicopters, readers voted the column out). The reviews tell it like it is. For 19 bucks a year don't think you can go wrong. Every fly in we have done Gordon has always sent free subscriptions to give away. Several of the writers post here on RCU from time to time.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
firstplaceaviator

I have subscribed to R/C Report (and others) off and on for over 15 years.
R/C Report is definetly the most honest publication. Gordon has served our hobby very honorably.
The magazine still has real building articles and tips.
I don't subscribe right now, because I have been flying more helis than planes.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: John Palica

Any input on RC Report Magazine? They claim unbiased reporting on products and less than 40% of the magazine content is ads.
I read RC Report for the words and MAN for the pictures. Occasionally, MAN has good words, as well. RC Report has "good words" all the time - excellent content, writers with personalities, experience, humor and style. The editor is an actual RC modeler! No other RC publication can match all of that.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:43 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Without a doubt, R/C Report has been telling it straight for many years now. It's the only one I subscribe to and I look forward to it every month. Keep up the excellent work Gordon and team of writers.

Now to address some of the other "insights" vocalized above... I hear a lot of you guys complaining about electrics and ARFs and some of the points are somewhat valid and others are just opinionated crap. This hobby (or sport as some would like to call it) is constantly evolving as is society. As much as I hate to admit it, I like the old way far better too. Build, fly, crash and build again... cycle repeats. But at the time what other choice did we have.
In today's global economy, you have third world people building ARFs that are done in a controlled environment with jigs and fixtures we only wish to be able to build with. I've assembled (notice I did not say built) several ARFs over the past two or three years that, aside from a couple questionable choices of materials in key strength areas, I would find myself having a problem matching the fit and finish of the subassemblies. I did this due to lack of time and price, plain and simple. If you ask any one of my friends and modeling buddies "Who do you know has a lot of kits and semi-kits and plans?" I guarantee you, they'll say John does. I prefer building and that's the truth but time is the problem.
So what's the answer? Make the time. The ARFs I assembled were for my son Mike. I'm still dottering away on an old Dynaflite .40 size Funscale P-40 that was in storage until we moved into our new home. Will Mike be a builder like me? I doubt it, too busy with motorcycles and college. Maybe later. But the key to this is to get a young person turned on to the building part and not just assembling a plane from ARFs made in Viet Nam or China or Indonesia etc, etc.