Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking for reliable/durable pull-pull hardware

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking for reliable/durable pull-pull hardware

Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for reliable/durable pull-pull hardware

I'm in the planning stages for a 1/3 Sopwith Pup. I want to use a pull-pull system on the rudder & elevator. I'd like to go with kevlar to avoid radio interference, but I don't think that's critical as I've seen lots of other planes fly just fine with metal pull-pull wires.

Where can I find reliable pull-pull hardware? I think with these systems, the fittings (links, clevises, swages, etc.) need to be designed properly to avoid fraying & wearing out the wires. Who makes the best pull-pull hardware? What works for you?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Default RE: Looking for reliable/durable pull-pull hardware

What about the hardware from Don's hobby shop? How well does that hold up?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
I know this sounds silly, but have you thought of fishing trace wire, plastic covered, available in different breaking strains, flexible, & the swages & tools are readily available at the same shop.
That's what I use, with threaded couplers, that I make myself, but can be bought as well.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 AM
flipstart

Same here-buy the wire leader from fishing shop, various diameters available and comes with proper crimps, order the screw connectors with appropriate clevis/swivel connector, either 2-56 or 4-40 depending on size of plane. also use the same wire for flying wires, much cheaper this way also. Bicycle spokes are just correct diameter and hardness to make special connectors or the threaded connectors with hole in one end.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting my pull pull wires and crimps for my 1/4 scale Tiger Moth from Cabela's. It's clear plastic coated 7 strand stainless steel fishing leader (trace), 60# test. Also ordered the crimps. I did some experimenting with some crimps I had on hand. The crimp has a .051 ID and I got two .032 wires into it by slightly flattening the crimp. The wire fit in beautifully. The smaller than recommended crimp will look more scale than the recommended size because I won't have the "bulge" that would occur in the larger crimp. As I recall from my days working on full scale light aircraft (Cubs and Champs etc.) the crimps we used for the 1/8" cables were oval shaped to accept two passes of the cable. If I could only find some scale size thimbles and shackles for the cable, life would be beautiful.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Eindecker_pilot

Looks like the fishing leader wire is very popular! What do you guys use for threaded couplers? The dubro threaded couplers look fine for smaller airplanes, but their hole (into which the cable loops) has a sharp edge break on it.

I looked at SWB manufacturing & they have a nice pull-pull connector that has a radiused/blended hole that would seem to eliminate stress risers & wear points on the part of the cable that loops through the threaded coupler. Anybody used these before? How did they hold up?

http://www.swbmfg.com/index.html

What do you use for a crimping tool to avoid over-crimping or under-crimping?

thanks for your input!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 AM
flipstart

I just use the Dubro connectors-I take a small burr tool on my dremel and eliminate any burrs and put a small radius on each side of the hole. For a crimping tool, I modified a pair of needle nose pliers by dulling the cutting section, with a little practice, you can crimp fine, I put 3 crimps in each connector tube, followed by a drop of ca. Nary a problem, wild horses couldn't pull it loose.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

I personally like the pull/pull system from SR batteries with the black coated wire. I have it on my eindecker.