Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Affects of Relocating Fuel Tank?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Affects of Relocating Fuel Tank?

Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affects of Relocating Fuel Tank?

Will moving a fuel tank forward or aft from its original position affect flight?

aerosman
[8D]
Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 AM
Ejiro
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Affects of Relocating Fuel Tank?

The short answer to your question is certainly yes. How much the effect would be would depend on several other factors which cannot be deduced from the information you have provided.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 AM
BillS

ORIGINAL: aerosman

Will moving a fuel tank forward or aft from its original position affect flight?

aerosman
[8D]
Sure it will affect flight. The CG will have been changed and the fuel draw will be changed.

Bill
Old 01-14-2007, 10:36 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Bill is right on. A great majority of glow models have the tank against the firewall, so moving it back is usually the only option; with gassers there is more latitude in tank placement because of fuel flow issues and the type carbs gassers use. Some planes have the tank mounted on the c/g, so that full or empty, they don't affect the balance of the plane, but may then require a pump to ensure proper fuel flow. Most trainers (and the aforementioned majority) mount the tank ahead of the c/g. The airplane is ALWAYS balanced with an EMPTY tank, and the amount of fuel weight is generally negligible in making a plane slightly nose heavy, which it will tolerate MUCH better than being tail heavy, which is what will happen if you mount the tank very far behind the c/g. Tail heaviness makes a plane more unstable, which makes it "twitchier" up to the point of insufficient tail surface authority, at which time it becomes uncontrollable. One thing affects another.