Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Spinner do I need??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Spinner do I need??

Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Timbotide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Spinner do I need??

I had my first training session that past Saturday and learned how important it is to check the prop nut.
The prop on my Hangar 9 Alpha 40 came off and took the spinner with it. Luckily I was not standing in front of the plane when this happened. Now I need a new spinner and need to know what brand to go with.
I want a 2 blade spinner that is highly polished aluminum. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Newc

Default RE: What Spinner do I need??

This spinner nut - in the appropriate size for your engine - is the best solution. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXE158&P=
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM
carrellh

I like the spinner nuts that newc suggested on some planes, and actual spinners on others.

If you prefer an actual spinner, here is a listing of polished ones:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-11.html
For a 40 size trainer you might choose 2", 2-1/4", or 2-1/2" depending on your preference. If you know the size of the original, you can get the same size. I like the spinner to be slightly smaller than the width of the cheeks that are beside the engine.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Timbotide

ORIGINAL: carrellh

I like the spinner nuts that newc suggested on some planes, and actual spinners on others.

If you prefer an actual spinner, here is a listing of polished ones:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-11.html
For a 40 size trainer you might choose 2", 2-1/4", or 2-1/2" depending on your preference. If you know the size of the original, you can get the same size. I like the spinner to be slightly smaller than the width of the cheeks that are beside the engine.
I like the idea of a highly polished spinner on my plane. The original spinner was plastic and 2" in dia. but I may go with the 2 1/4" size. Have you ever had any trouble with the Prospin spinners vibrating loose?? Thanks so much for the help.

Timbotide
Old 01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Newc

In your first post you mentioned that you've had one training session. For that reason I suggest the DuBro spinner nut recommended earlier as a more rugged unit since that's the first thing that hits the ground - or other hard surfaces - in most unplanned events.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Timbotide

I like the idea of a highly polished spinner on my plane. The original spinner was plastic and 2" in dia. but I may go with the 2 1/4" size. Have you ever had any trouble with the Prospin spinners vibrating loose?? Thanks so much for the help.

Timbotide
The aluminum spinners I have used are Great Planes and Tru-Turn. They were satin finish, not polished, so I didn't mention them. I've never had one come loose.

I did destroy two GP 3 inch spinners on my PT- 60:
Nose low landing, spinner split from the prop slot to the retaining bolt
Botched takeoff, hit high weeds, prop broke, and it bent the spinner

I switched to a spinner nut after that. My trainer finally died but the spinner nut lives on and will probably go on my Four Star 60.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Timbotide

I am going with the ProSpin 21/4" spinner. A guy that I helped run speaker wire for his new surround sound system ordered it for me as payment for helping him.