Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba Transmitter

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba Transmitter

Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Treacle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Transmitter

At the moment I have got a Futaba Skysports 4 transmitter which is non programmable. I am looking to get a new Futaba transmitter that is programmable. What is the best one for under £100?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 PM
hrrcflyer

Default RE: Futaba Transmitter

Treacle,

What is the current currency exchange rate? I know Futaba now has a 4 channel radio that is actually very easy to program, but I'm not sure of the price. Futaba also makes the 6EXA which is a six channel easy to program transmitter as well at a reasonable price. Of course other manufacturers make programmable radios, but I'm a Futaba man myself.

Fly safe and have fun!!!
David
Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Villa

Hello Treacle
Hope you don't mind a question. What do you want to do that your current radio cannot do? I have had three of the Futaba Skysports 4 radios since 2000 and very rarely do I wish I had more features. Every time I hear of a pilot crashing his plane because "did not know the radio was on high rates" , or some of the many toggle switches was accidentally switched, I am thankfull I have the simple radio. One of my planes has elevons (Flying Lawnmower) so I use a $12.00 mixer between the servos and the receiver to solve the problem. I do keep looking at the computer radios and wonder if I should move up.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Treacle

Thanks David ill look into that.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Treacle

Hi Villa

Well I wanted a programmable transmitter because you can programme in setings for a certain plane. You can also store settings for other planes on the same transmitter.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

It's to bad you can't get your frequencies through tower hobbies.
With the exchange rate and discounts you could get a 7CAF for about £115

I know there are better prices than these in the UK but I got this with a little google search.
Someone else might be able to point you to the best shop.

4EX £124.99 A good Basic 4ch computer radio
http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...tegory=060-010

6EXAP £149.99 Well worth the extra £24.. you get 1 more servo and 6 channels so you won't be replacing it if you want to move into something with retracts or dual aleron servos

7CAF £229.99 My personal favorite but about double your price range.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You may not like my advice but I would tell anybody I fly with the same. Save your money until you can get a 9C. You will be glad you did. I have six Skysport 6's gathering dust in my shop. I could have saved a bunch of cash if my patience was better.

David
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM
JPGale

To be quite frank here with you, 100GBP is not a lot for a transmitter, I know from personal experience that most things like this are pound for doller, or at least 1.5 dollers per pound. I currently have the futaba 6exas and it is a good beginners radio, however if you are going to buy a new radio get a Spektrum DX7, they retail at around $350, which at current exchange rate is about 170GBP it works on 2.4GHz so you need to check with the BMFA if it is legal to use but I could not see a problem, then your only concern is to find a compatiable charger as the US is not only on 110 but uses 60Hz rather than the 240 at 50Hz in the UK, again this is not a big problem match the volt and amp out rating of the charger and make adapters if needed. It is 7 channel and I know for a fact that the big 3D gassers (petrol) work with these as I know someone who has one and swears by it. I intend to buy one myself when I next buy a radio unless something better comes along.

The need for a computer radio is nothing to do with bells or whistles and extra switches and stuff, or even different models (not a problem on the DX7), but simply the fact that you do not have to re trim every flight.

If you want a DX7 then try

www.horizonhobby.com

Just one last note if you are interested the DX6 is for small park flyers.

HTH

James