Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What causes radio glitches

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What causes radio glitches

Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes radio glitches

This is a weird idea but there are many ideas on what causes glitches and what things work to correct a glitch. Certain plane setups and the do's and dont's to help remove the possibility of a glitch. What was a definite fix and what just masked the problem.Everyone has their own way of handling these things based on what worked for them or what they read that worked for others, as do I.

Here is an idea I think it would be a neat try (yet it would be a real pain and a lot of work but). How about setting up a plane with the worst possible scenario for glitches. Everything they say not to do, do to make it glitch. Of coarse not fly it but to use this as a test stand to see what works on fixing these problems. From there start fixing each problem one by one. I know they will be a chain of problems creating others but still this would be a way to see what makes each thing act the way it does. Once one problem is fixed remove the fix and test again. Then fix again to make certain that was the correct fix. And then so on to each problem.

This would probably be a real pain to do but a good learning experience and also good indication on what exactly makes a certain glitch act the way it does. Then what was used to correct this.

Has anyone tried this before?

Yeah this may sound like a wild idea but just thought I would toss this up. Reminds me of a Myth Busters experiment for some reason too
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Charlie P.

Default RE: What causes radio glitches

IMHO a large percentage of "radio glitches" and "hits" are caused by low batteries, pilot error and control binding/flutter. We tend to find external blame.

As for the real glitches, anything nearby that generates a spark puts RF noise on a wide range of frequencies. If that noise is stronger or approaching your tiny transmission strength the radio can get confused. They are good and getting better at filtering out noise, but it is still with us. Other sources are metal on metal or plastic vibrations, servos too close to the receiver, the magneto or electronic ignition system on gassers. Sun spots. Your buddy on the same frequency who swears he didn't switch on (D'oh! Crap!). Damaged receiver or receiver antenna (hey, I can re-use this, it's only charred on the outside). Servo gears catching (see previous crashed equipment). Servos otherwise stalling. Loose connections anywhere in the electrical system . . . including the servo and receiver circuit boards. Damaged solid-state components.

Temper these observations with the facts that when I was in the "pre-college technical electronics program" in high-school I studied vacuum tubes and got two answers to every problem working a slide-rule (I kid you not). So naturally I majored in Chemistry when I went to college. (though I stumbled across two associate degrees: Business Admin and Accounting, and ended up wih a bachelors in Education/Human Development and so I am an accounting manager. Huh?).
Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Villa

At our field we have an area known as "the Burmuda Triangle" because of the many crashes that "seem" to occure there. In a left hand pattern, taking off left to right, this spot is in turn #3. It is the furthest point in the "circuite. Planes that crash there are usually very far away. Many of the pilots that crash there NEVER practice a spin, snap roll, flying inverted, knife edge, touch and goes, or any other manuever. When they lose orientation, they have no experience to fall back on so they hit the ground and declare a "RADIO GLITCH". Since I'm not perfect I have crashed there also. So far I have found two pilot errors and one equipment failure. Any gliches I have expereinced have been rare and very short lived.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q: What causes radio glitches?

A: Interference.

[sm=lol.gif]

Thank you! Thank you!! I'll be here all week.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Q: What causes radio glitches?

A: Gremlins!

But seriously, Radio glitches are indeed caused by SOME type of interference. That could be the nearby power lines, or the trucker driving by with a suped-up CB radio. It could even be caused by sun spots.

Think of interference as noise. When you're talking to someone in your living room, you hear them perfectly. Now if you turn the TV on (Low Volume) and carry on with your conversation, your brain can distinguish between your conversation and the TV. But turn the TV up and it gets more difficult. That's when you miss a word say, "What?" - That's a "glitch"

Now turn the TV to full volume and you can no longer hear the conversation - That is what we would call "Interference" - There is so much outside noise that the Rx can no longer "Hear" your signal.

So why does it effect some planes and not others? The sourse of the interference can be tuned to a certain frequency. So suppose you were having your livingroom chat and your dog was in the room. If someone was blowing a dog whistle, YOU could hear the conversation just fine while your dog is rolling around going nuts from the sound of the whistle!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
FlooredCOBRA

So the whistle is actually a PCM device. It just masked the problem and allowed u to hear but when actually there still was noise..haha

Y eah i see what your saying. Theres lots of things it could be and a real pain to have when your trying to fly that new plane you been working on for so long. I just heard so many different variables to glitch so was curious to which did actually cause and what didn't. Or if all of them did or vis-versa.

I have heard from antenna wire touching something carbon fiber, vibrating battery packs not insulated well. And even metallic mono coat to causing these things. Theres so many ideas that get thrown around which all can be a possibility and some maybe not really.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A "Glitch" is a funny thing (Funny as in strange, definitely not comical! ). You're right, there are a million and one things that can cause a glitch - including all of the things that you mentioned.

By the same token, things that SHOULD cause a glitch may not do anything.

Case in point - You mentioned setting up a plane with the worst possible senario - well here's a story for you.

If you look at [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=706]This Review[/link] you won't see anything out of the ordinary, but here's the "Behind the Scenes" story:

The day I maidened it, I also shot the video. I got some good footage and started to pack up for the day. As I removed the canopy, I realized to my horror that I never "Installed" the antenna. It was a new Rx, and while I DID unwrap the antenna, I never put it in the antenna tube. It was just laying inside the radio compartment like a big rat's nest. But the plane was flown, the video was shot, and there was never so much as a glitch.

I'm just glad the plane never got very far away because SURELY I had deminished my range considerably!