Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Grrrr . . . pulling my hair out

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Grrrr . . . pulling my hair out

Old 01-21-2007, 02:26 PM
CedarReefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grrrr . . . pulling my hair out

I've just started into r/c planes. I bought the Miss Stick from Hobby Lobby. What other options do I have, rather then buying what they suggest? I mainly want to be able to compare prices.

Is there are chart of what type of motor/ESC/li-po set up I can use for different planes? I'm also scratch building the 30's Sportplane from the RCM plans. I want to convert this to electric but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 01-21-2007, 03:20 PM
eniac

Default RE: Grrrr . . . pulling my hair out

I bet a geared speed 400 would fly that Miss Stick. Might want to mess around with different props to find out what works, probably somthing low pitched and slow, 9x6, 10x5 maybe?

Those guys always seem to recommend the most expensive power option they could, but on only a 2 cell lipo, you're not talking about a roaring monster anyhow. But that plane doesn't look like its going to need much vertical.

I'd like to hear what others say.
Kyle
Old 01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

I too am new to the electric world. I find the guys in the E-Flight forum are a good source for this sort of thing. They do this stuff every day.

Read up on the Conversion forum for some good tips, and ask all the questions that you might have.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 PM
CedarReefer

Where is the Conversion forum?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Flak

CedarReefer,
OK, I'm not runnin' down electrics, but you get what you pay for. A good electric set up is expensive. I suggest you start with a 40 size gas trainer, like the Avistar 40. $279.00, and that includes engine and radio pre-installed. Semi-semetrical wing makes for easier flying and easier transition to next plane. Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:12 PM
pt19 flyer

hi

get the weight of your plane and hobby lobby catalog list the weight of plane each of the axi motors will fly. there is no easy data to convert one motor line to another. they all differ in the way the motors are rated and the way the data is presented. presently very confusing.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
CedarReefer

Hey Flak,

I use to have a 40 size trainer. I think it flew to fast for me, to start out with. Are there any good floaters that take a throttled .049? I've built both kits and scratch, so if there are plans out there, I don't mind building one from scratch. I've seen pics of the Yard Bee.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 PM
mikegordon10

That's what that thar left stick is fer.