Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Beveling Control Hinge Lines

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Beveling Control Hinge Lines

Old 01-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Lynn1953

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beveling Control Hinge Lines

Anyone have a good way of putting the bevels on hinge line - especially those long' aileron leading edges and keeping them uniform. I've thought abut a dremel router table with a 45 deg bit.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Beveling Control Hinge Lines

One of the tricks I have used is to glue tri stock to the control surface LE. This a good idea for hinge point type hinges, not so good with CA hinges.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:05 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do them by marking the leading edge with one line that will be the actual hinge line and additional lines about 1/8th inch back on the top and bottom of the LE (or as required for the desired taper). Then I use a spokeshave or razor plane to carve back close to the lines. Then I block sand, starting with 60 grit and finishing with 150, back to the lines. Key is to never remove any of the pencil line. My sanding blocks are 11" long. Try to hold the blocks at the same angle required for the bevel. With a little practice you can get very straight bevels.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 AM
perttime

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tape a ruler (or two) to the material (balsa?) along the bevel line to limit your cutting/sanding.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I put the stick-um sandpaper on a pc of thick plywood for a base and have a large sanding surface to work on. That way I can see what angle the wood is instead of using blocs that cover up what I am holding on to.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Lynn1953

Boy I like the tri-stock idea. I was planning on ca hinges but I may change to the points. I've been building for 26 years and thought I might try something different than shaving and sanding.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite is to mark a center line and use a razor plane. Hold the angle carefully and take strokes the full length of the surface and it will be straight and true.

Dave
Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I ususally do is to lay the control surface flat and lay a straight-sided pen down next to it. This is just about perfect for a 1/4" think surface, but you may have to shim up the pen for thicker surfaces.

Now draw a line down the edge. You don't want the line perfectly centered, just close. Then flip the piece over and draw another line.

Next I just place the surface on the edge of a table, hold a sanding block at an angle and sand till I hit the top line. Flip and repeat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60656.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	605583  
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Lynn1953

I like it Minn-Flyer. My biggest trouble is getting the back edge of the bevel straight. How'd you do the art work?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:29 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The Tri stock will work fine on CA hinges too. You could hit it with some sand paper real quick to take a bit of the sharp "point" off of the bevel, but I've use it on CA hinges without concern in the past.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM
ma_mulcahy

A guy on the Kit Building thread showed an interesting technique, but I can't find the post. Basically, he takes a piece of plywood, bevels it to the desired angle on something like a table saw. Applies sticky sandpaper to the beveled surface and then screws it down to the workbench. As long as you slide the workpiece in a consistent motion, it yields nice bevels in balsa. Once it's beveled to the line on one side, flip the workpiece over and do the other. I guess it doesn't matter which way the bevel faces. If it faces up, you can see a bit of your progress. If it faces down, I think it would be easier to get a consistent bevel because the workpiece is wedged between the bevel and workbench. Your mileage may vary!

I haven't tried this yet, but I will on my current project.

Mike
Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Charlie P.

I lay the piece down on the edge of my work table and use a 24" sanding block (those long guys in the lower right of this image) with #80 grit to rough it down, then switch to #220 grit to finish it up. I do this after placing the hinge cut-outs so I have that centerline to strike to. I have one of the GP "multi-shapers" and the round channel works well but the "V" shaper is near worthless.

45ΒΊ is also a bit extreme . . . though I guess extreme throws are all the rage anymore. I use a much more "open" angle so my hinge gap is smaller.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38616.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	606243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94273.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	606244  
Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lynn1953

I like it Minn-Flyer. My biggest trouble is getting the back edge of the bevel straight.
As long as you hold the sanding block at a constant angle, once you reach the top line, the back line should automatically end up straight.

ORIGINAL: Lynn1953

How'd you do the art work?
Adobe Dimensions and Photoshop