Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RC flying in NY

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC flying in NY

Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM
MaverickFFM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC flying in NY

Hello everybody,

my name is Michael and I´m from Germany. I will be in Manhatten for 4 Weeks soon. I would like to take my small RC plane with me and I would like to know what regulations and laws you have in the United States. Is it e.g. allowed to fly a small electric plane in the Central Park, do I need a special permission, etc.?

I was searching in Google Maps for some areas near Manhatten where I can fly, but they seem pretty rare do they?

So, I hope some of you guys may help me in the decision whether I take my plane to NY or not.

Thanks so far,

Michael
Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RC flying in NY

Try doing a search for Floyd Bennett Field here on RCU. It's on Long Island, west of JFK airport (probably where you'll enter the US). There was a thread about r/c flying out there a while back, I think it was in "The Clubhouse". I can't speak to the laws regulating what you can or can't do in Central Park, but if you can find FBF and fly there, you'll be in some truly historic company. The Golden Age of Flight had some of its best moments there.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 PM
MaverickFFM

Hi khodges,

thank you for your answer. That helped me a lot. I found the thread and also the club there. Can you tell me if a AMA licence is mandatory in USA for flying in a park?

Cheers, Michael
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 AM
supra guy

I looked at the central park website and didn't see any rules banning RC airplanes. As long as it's a small plane (like a park flyer for example) you should be fine. And no an AMA license isn't required unless you go to a club, even then sometimes no. Good luck my friend
Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 AM
MaverickFFM

Hi,

yes it´s a small one. 30 inches of wing span.

Thank you for this information.

Does anyone here fly regularly in the central park?

Cheers Michael
Old 01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

You might want to check what frequencies are in use. Here in US we fly on 72MHz and 27MHz, as well as 2.4 GHz. Surface craft (cars and boats) use 75 MHz. Seems like there's a lake in the park where people have small sailboats check and make sure you don't have conflicts.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 PM
MaverickFFM

Hi,

that is interesting to hear. Here in Germany we fly 27, 35 and 40 MHz. I use 35 MHz Channel 67. So I think that I shouldn´t have any problems with interferences, should I?

Cheers Michael