Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glassing a wing with access-to-servo hatche/covering plastic

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glassing a wing with access-to-servo hatche/covering plastic

Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glassing a wing with access-to-servo hatche/covering plastic

A general question regarding glassing (a wing in particular):

In particular, a TF Corsair. The access hatches are already built (or rather, cut out and formed to fit) for the aileron and flap servos.

When you are glassing that wing, do you

a)install the hatch covers, glass over them and then cut them out with an exacto/dremel

OR

b)glass the wing without the hatch covers installed. Then glass the hatches separately and sand to fit.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Kaos1964
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Glassing a wing with access-to-servo hatches

I'd be inclined to go with "a" and then use a very sharp exacto knife to remove the hatches after glassing. Particularly if you're using fiberglass resin to glass with.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 01-26-2007, 08:03 PM
saramos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with plan b. I would be afraid of too much chance of the hatches being permanently glued on. After glassing the wing and hatch separately, you could get a good tight seam by covering the inside of the hatch cover, overlapping the edges, with monocote, install them, apply epoxy/microballoons, and sanding. The monocote acts as a parting agent allowing you to pop them out, leaving a seam that is only as thick as the monocote.

Scott
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
voyager_663rd

Some ideas. Great ! Thanks.

IN CONJUNTION WITH THIS (forgot):

what about the leading edge where the plastic oil coolers/gun ports are already glued in. Do you just lay the glass over those parts and just bring the resin up to the edge? Or will the glass just "pop off" the plastic even after the resin is applied.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
icabod
My Feedback: (29)

I would glass the whole wing with the hatch's in place and then cut them out. I usually thin the resin down as thin as the consistancy of milk for the first application. In this way the cloth lays down nice, no bubbles will form and there is no need to squiggy the excess resin off. So there would not be enough resin to glue the hatch's to the wing. As regards glassing over plastic make sure you sand the plastic to roughen it up so the resin will stick. If you are using polyester resin first check that the resin won't melt the plastic. I usually use epoxy finishing resin when I glass an airplane, and it doesn't melt plastic.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
voyager_663rd

Well, that's just it. I don't want the resin/glass to stick to the plastic. So I assume I should leave it smooth. I do have to paint the plastic later though (latex).
Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 PM
bfd04

I would not glass it with the covers in place. If any resin gets inbetween the edges of the hatch covers they will never come out. Glass the entire wing even over the access holes then cut the holes out after the epoxy dries. When you do the access covers place them on a small box that way gravity will help take the wrinkles out, and the haning fabric will help keep it taught untill it cures. I will put a link below to a different way to apply fiberglass and epoxy, once you try it you will never do it any other way.

http://info-central.org/index.cgi?construction

Click Easy Glassing
Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
bfd04

I forgot to tell you that they also make fiberglass and carbon fiber sock in different sizes. They are great because they leave no seams.