Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Trimming Monocote Grrrr

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trimming Monocote Grrrr

Old 01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming Monocote Grrrr

Does anyone have any good techniques for trimming Monocote etc once it is applied.. I have a straight edge with runbber bands around it the long way (to keep it from slipping) that I use now... Still haveing a heck of a time cutting straight lines.. The same with curved lines like the overlap around the firewall etc... I have been using jar lids etc to try for uniform cuts but this too leaves a bit to be desired...
I have a crazy trim tool I got from Great Planes but still haven't figured that beast out... Pretty good at cutting my hands with it though...
Must be a better way...
Thanks
IC
Old 01-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Trimming Monocote Grrrr

This works and works well:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL791&P=7

It will even follow curves if you are careful.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
IronCross

Thanks, I hadn't seen that one before... I will get one and try it... Got to be better then what I am doing now
Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM
flynte

That looks like the cats meow. Eight cutting edges before you have to change blades. I like it, have to get one on next order.
Thanks for the link

flynte

Old 01-27-2007, 11:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just use a very sharp razor blade and a steady hand.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the Higley covering trimmer. It works wonderful. I had the top flite trimmer, it uses a #11 blade. More expensive and not all brands of #11 work in it either.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 AM
IronCross

But how do you guys cut a straight even line after it is tacked down ?... Also how do you get an even trim around curves like the overlap on the firewall and around the curved ends of the evlevators etc... I always seem to end up with a kind of jagged edge...
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Stripes

The film is tacked on the part with the excess hanging off then the Higley device just zips along the edge leaving a nice clean 1/8 or so to bend over and iron down. It's very easy to do and leaves a nice clean edge if you are careful. Following a curve takes a bit more attention but is perfectly doable.

How they get the nerve to charge $15 escapes me but I guess we have to pay for what works. Keep in mind that the razor blade can be turned over exposing eight new cutting edges.

This is one of those shop devices that actually make the job easier because they actually work. I have an Xacto balsa plane which looks nice but doesn't work worth a hoot. The Master Airscrew balsa plane does work.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Stripes

Because the trimmer is being held to the edge of the part and zipped along the edge the cut will be as straight as the edge of the part.

The film is hanging off the part and the Higley device is running the edge at a 90 degree angle to the film. The film is protruding off as the cutter comes along. The film is in one of those eight grooves in the bottom of the cutter and is cut by the razor which is being held, by the device, about 1/8 inch from the edge.

Is that clear?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
IronCross

I have one on order... Sounds like what I am looking for... Can't believe every one is using one of these though I have a few ARF's and the edges on the covering seem to be trimmed perfectly... I keep wondering how they do that when mine turn out so rough... You don't like the Xacto plane ?... I use the heck out of mine.. Down side is how am I going to sharpen the blade when it needs it...