Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HELP ME DECIDE WICH ENGINE WICH PLANE !

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HELP ME DECIDE WICH ENGINE WICH PLANE !

Old 01-28-2007, 01:43 AM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME DECIDE WICH ENGINE WICH PLANE !

HELLO ALL.
I AM HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING WHICH ENGINE SHOULD GO IN WICH PLANE. PLANE 1 IS A HANGER 9 60 SIZE P-51.
PLANE 2 IS A KIT BUILT MIDWEST CITABRIA 1/5 SCALE. THE ENGINES I HAVE ARE A OS 91 SURPASS II 4- STROKE AND A MAGNUM 91 4-STROKE. BOTH ARE BRAND NEW NEVER RUN. THE P-51 ENGINE WILL BE INVERTED. THE CITABRIA WILL BE MOUNTED AT APPROXIMATELY 45 DEGREES OR HEAD AT 7:OO O-CLOCK POSITION. ANY COMMENTS ON EITHER ENGINE AND INSTALATION GREATLY APPRICIATED. ALSO IN YOUR OPINION IS ONBOARD GLOW DRIVER NESSESARY IN EITHER OF THES PLANES? TNANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP. ANDREWWISC.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HELP ME DECIDE WICH ENGINE WICH PLANE !

I'd stick the Surpass on the warbird, and the Magnum on the Citabria. Well, actually, I'd sell both and get Saitos for them, but that's just me.

Glow driver isn't really necessary if you have the engines properly adjusted, but isn't a bad thing either. For the warbird especially, the glow plug may be difficult to get at, so a remote plug is definitely a good idea. Using a glow driver would allow you to just flip a switch on your Tx, spin the engine and you're off. Of course you have the added weight of battery and electronics of driver, but it's really minimal.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

I'd stick with the Surpass in the 51, sell the Magnum and get another Surpass. I'm not too fond of Magnums', just me. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
KI8FR

The O S and the MAGNUM are good engines. The Os would go in the 51 just fine.. I do not know of any one that has put a Magnum INVERTED I have a OS that is inverted and I have not had a prob with it... My Magnum is in a plane that is strate up.. No probs with that engine.

The glow driver just makes it nice. The OS will not need it to run but like I said I do not know about the Magnum being inverted. I have one Saitos 80 that is inverted, it will not idle at all with out a glow driver on it.. I know that there is alot of ppl that has saitos, and not have a prob with it... but it will be the only one I will ever have. I think I just got a bad one. I do not know. I am not saying that saitos is a bad engine Im just saying that some engines will fun inverted just fine and some will not.

Good luck on what you come up with.