Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting SolarTex

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting SolarTex

Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Hud-n-OTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting SolarTex

I need to paint some areas of SolarTex covering and need to know what type of spray paint to use. The TopFlight paint does not come in the correct color.

HUDnOTOW
Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 PM
flipstart

Default RE: Painting SolarTex

My current build is a L-19 bird dog, covered in Solartex, primed and sprayed with Rustoleum Gloss white, red and black colors. Since PU yellows, still undecided on the overcoat for it. I don't use a spray gun just rattle cans, Rustoleum has a lot of colors that usually match, other brands work as well over Rustoleum automotive primer. Just always make a test sample to be sure. Still looking for a fuelproof overcoat that is readily available and will not yellow with age.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
NCIS

Hud-n-otow,

I second the Rustoleum. If you get the automotive rust preventive it is almost completely fuelproof. Burned fuel will not be an issue. I have painted many models with this and have never had a problem. You can get their clear coat also. I am going to star havung an auto body shop supply store mix wehat ever collors I want and find out from them what clear coat would be completely fuelproof. They will mix the paint and then put in an spray can just like Rustoleum. I want exact matches now. I just started building Scale Warbirds and want them to look right. Of course they will be covered in fiberglass.

Godd luck,

Gibbs
Old 01-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flipstart

My current build is a L-19 bird dog, covered in Solartex, primed and sprayed with Rustoleum Gloss white, red and black colors. Since PU yellows, still undecided on the overcoat for it. I don't use a spray gun just rattle cans, Rustoleum has a lot of colors that usually match, other brands work as well over Rustoleum automotive primer. Just always make a test sample to be sure.

Still looking for a fuelproof overcoat that is readily available and will not yellow with age.
In a rattle can, I have found these clearcoats do not yellow (price from high to low) :

Ultracote clear
Dupli-Color Acrylic Clear (gloss only available - auto parts/supply houses )
Krylon Acrylic Clear (gloss and satin )

Do a search on my name in the tips forum. I have done some testing on clear coats and put the results up.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
flipstart

campy-thanks for the info-will give the Krylon or dupli-color a try. Its strange that the Krylon clear is fuel proof and most of their colors are definitely not fuel proof.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM
julianaughton

I am building a warbird which is partly covered with Solartex. I have two questions for you. Did you prime the fabric before painting and if so what primer did you use. Also where did you find an auto paint suppy store that will mix colors into a spray can? Thanks
Julian
Old 07-04-2007, 09:25 AM
khodges

Another alternative is latex paint; look through the color chips, find the color you want, have it mixed. It works great on Solartex, no priming needed, just a clean, oil-free cover. Any of the clearcoats Campy mentioned work well, and I am a fan of LustreKote clear. It goes over latex with no problems, just give the latex a week to cure (it shrinks a bit as it dries). I painted a couple of planes, including this DR-1 with latex on Solartex, with LustreKote clear to fuelproof it. The Fokker is covered with Natural and White Solartex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15889.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	716069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74859.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	716070  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Big_Bird

My 1/3 scale Hostetler Super Decathlon was covered with white Solartex and painted with Rustoleum. The yellow was a mix of Sun Yellow and Pumpkin Orange. I removed the gas from the rattle cans and mixed the paint. Then I used an automotive touch up gun. The orange was straight from the rattle can. I did not use a primer and have not had a bit of problem from the paint pealing in 3 years of flying. Rustoleum clear gloss was used over all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72458.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	716101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63861.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	716102