Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which is lighter, silkspan or monokote?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which is lighter, silkspan or monokote?

Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is lighter, silkspan or monokote?

I rebuilding a 1/2a stealth sport and have a lot of extra silkspan and black monokote and would like to know which would be lighter, presuming 2-4 cotes of dope. Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which is lighter, silkspan or monokote?

I am almsot leaning towards there is not going to be much difference, however the Monokote would be quicker and less smelly. I think I would go with the Monokote. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
da Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which is lighter, silkspan or monokote?

What weight silkspan? OO? SGM? GM?

Almost always, silkspan with just a few coats of dope will be appreciably lighter than Monocote. And it'll be for sure if it's the lighter weight silkspan.

You see Monocote on quarter scale airplanes right? It's not made to be light. It's made to be strong enough that customers don't complain of it failing on whatever they use it on.

There are a number of lightweight "monocotes". They're still not as light as light silkspan and just enough dope to seal.