Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many hours?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How many hours?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 AM
fadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many hours?

Hello everybody
Just wondering how many hours do you usually fly a plane before it retires?
What is the average?

Do you recover it after that? reinforce it? trash it?

Does these hours matter if one wants to sell back his plane?
Do you think it makes sense to keep track, and how do you keep track of it? Any special features?

Cheers
Fadi
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Charlie P.

Default RE: How many hours?

If it becomes so battered and repeatedly repaired that it no longer flies well I strip them and burn the wood parts (with the proper ceremony, of course). I have models I semi-retire and don't fly often. But I honestly don't have a model that will not fly again. If I don't like one I sell it, swap it, or pull the battery and receiver and give it away.

As far as service life? Unknown. My favorite sport model has an estimated 150 10 minute flights on it and looks to have at least that many more if it avoids calamity (it has had three engines in that time), and another that has maybe 50 10 minute flights so far. Something generally happens to models in my hanger that either retires them very suddenly or causes them to be parted out. Has something to do with a sudden loss of speed.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
BillS

I have one airplane with 519-recorded flights that is 17 years old. It is a pound over weight, has been totaled four times and looks bad. I think it flies great and about once a year something else gets patched. My flight buddies continue to ask why I don’t fly my pretty airplanes. The airplane has become a friend and will fly until it simply will not get off the ground.

Bill
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
AVGJohn

My GP Easy Sport 40 is 13 years old and is still one of my favorites after nearly 2500 flights. (Yes, 2500.)Multiple that by 8 minutes. I've worn out an OS FP 40 on it and replaced it with a ST 40 nine years ago (still runs like a watch). I've crushed and rebuilt the left wing twice and the right once among other repairs. I've stripped and completely recovered it twice. It's still fun to fly so no need to retire it yet.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Woodpile

If parts aren't falling off in flight, keep putting it up. I have recovered several planes more than once, as I fly on a field with alot of pebbles in it. The covering takes a beating, so I change it to a different pattern. It also gives me a better chance to fix any small items that might need it.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Lord, you guys are amazing. I get totally tired of a plane after 3 months or so. Sometimes, 3 flights.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:53 PM
chashint

I retired one after about 15 minutes total flying time. [&o]
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fly it till the wings come off. I have some that are older than a lot of the members here.

I have seen guys re-kit planes after seconds, that hurts.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 AM
fadi

Wow!! some numbers are scary
I thought my plane was old :P

But how did you know it is 2500 flight for example? do you record that somewhere?
I think I would be interested to log my flying time... Any automation or accessories you recommend?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Roby

I don't track the hours, just the years.
It's not uncommon for me to keep a plane 10 to 15 years.

Roby
Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tiger 2 that is about 12 years old. The plane has over 500 flights on it, ( I do keep logs for my planes). It has an OS 40 FP for power, which is the original engine that was installed on it and it has an old Futaba Gold Box radio in it, 7 channel, no model memory, no digital trims, no expo, no end point adjustments, my gosh how would we ever set up a plane in todays world using this radio. It has a few patches on it from rock hits and it is not the best looking plane at the field, but it is one plane that is just plain fun to fly and I know the plane inside and out. I can also say that this is the only plane that I have had in over 30 years of flying that I have worn out a set of wheels on it. I just put new wheels on it last year. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Thumprding

I too have an Tiger 2 that must be about 12 years old and I can't begin to tell you the number of flights it has. I have an Easy Sport 40 that replaced an ACE 4-40 that is over 10 years old. It is now on it's third covering and second engine. Good solid plane but it really needs to be flown with a 60 and about 1 inch of dihedral at most.

The oldest one I have is a Sig Ryan STA. I built it in 1989. I really like the lines of that plane. I put many, many hours into building that plane to get it look like the real thing (Sig could have done a better job on that Kit in my opinion) It was the second R/C plane I built. I built it right after I finished building my trainer and learning real quick that flying R/C planes is not as easy as it looks. Knowing the amount of time and effort I put into the Ryan I waited until I felt I had to skill to fly it and not damage it. Three years and three planes later I flew it. The Ryan STA was and still is a joy to fly.

With an 90 four stroke, to me, it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Thumprding

I think I did the same thing with a Midwest Hots. Second flight actually. Man did could that plane roll and confuse you on orientation. I learned real quick, after making a high speed low rolling pass, that it was not upright.

ORIGINAL: chashint

I retired one after about 15 minutes total flying time. [&o]
Old 01-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Blue_Moon_

ORIGINAL: Roby

I don't track the hours, just the years.
It's not uncommon for me to keep a plane 10 to 15 years.

Roby
I don't track the hours, just the seconds.
It's not uncommon for me to keep a plane 10 to 15 minuts.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 PM
AVGJohn

I kept track up to 1300 flights and estimate the rest.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The turbine models do have problems with fatigue and stress cracks. 100 to 200 flights are a bunch for them. But the prop driven wooden models can be flown for thousands of flights. These older models really tell which construction and finishing techniques hold up . If you can keep the fuel out, they seem to fly forever. My newest plane in the fleet is 3 years old and the oldest is 7 years old. I have flown planes for 11 years before . It was a twin and I sold it. 8 of its lives were used up. It probably had over 100 landings on one engine.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I just use an excel spread sheet, with the name of the plane on the left, dates at the top, number of flights for each plane.

Most of mine don't last long enough to "retire"..... well, there is that little electric cub, at 6 years now... it may be the first one to reach that distiction... again.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I took the numbers from the posts so far and created a little statistical treatment. Just from the sample I looked at, the mean would be about 150 hours, average around 50, with a standard deviation over 30 hours. That means there's a LOT of scatter in the data.

That's only for retired planes, not destroyed. I would have to say the three I've retired would fall into the range around 50 hours air time, ± 25 or so.

It's probably best not to share that kind of information with your wife...

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: fadi81

Hello everybody
Just wondering how many hours do you usually fly a plane before it retires?
What is the average?

Do you recover it after that? reinforce it? trash it?

Does these hours matter if one wants to sell back his plane?
Do you think it makes sense to keep track, and how do you keep track of it? Any special features?

Cheers
Fadi
Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
fadi

oh! Thanks Scar
Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
snys

Try Flightlog. Cool software.

http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/

Free too.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM
fadi

Interesting
Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I find the more capable the plane the shorter it lives. I still have my trainer and Tiger 2 after 7 years. My 3D profiles tend to last several months to two years at most. I guess this should tell me something about my piloting skills.