Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnum on par with OS/Saito?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum on par with OS/Saito?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Nutty_Gnome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum on par with OS/Saito?

Hi there,

I’m not new to airplanes, but my glow engine experience is lacking. I had several 40 sized 2 strokes in the '90’s and I currently have an inherited OS 40LA that just isn’t powerful enough for the fun-fly or pattern type of plane I wish to fly.

I need a new engine. I’ve scoured the boards and I see that there are proponents of each engine manufacturer out there, some more rabid than others I want to ask if a sport flyer can really tell the difference between the four stroke Magnum, OS, and Saito of comparable size.

Magnum has a really good sale going until April 1. The .70 four stroke is discounted 50 bucks to $125. That’s a around the price of a good .46 2 stroke! But I don’t want to buy something that is a piece of junk or that just won’t perform in a sport setting. Is there a reason for a sport flyer who only flys on a few weekends to spend the money on the OS or Saito four strokes? Will the Magnum get the job done at half the price? Are there any other four stroke manufacturers who sell in this price range?

Advice is welcomed, Thanks! N_G
Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 AM
LANNYBOB

Default RE: Magnum on par with OS/Saito?

magnums are great its like with anything if you take care of it and run it properly you'll have no issues with it. magnum is o.s. by the way. or
used to be.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

It is Magnum and ASP that are the same. They come from the very same factory. In my opinion they are marginally acceptable engines. That negative statement is due primarily to their inconsistency. Perhaps their quality control is faulty. Additionally, although they try to copy the OS engine design, their metalurgy is not the same. It boils down to getting what you pay for.
I have for many many years paid the slightly higher price for a Saito or OS engine, and I have never been disappointed. Many Magnums perform adequately, while some have been troublemakers. When I go flying...I want to fly...not tinker with a problem motor.
Remember this...The bitterness of poor quality far outlasts the sweetness of the cheap price.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 AM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

N_G

I have a Magnum 80 4 stroke, and, after three years it has given me absolutely zero problems. I would swear by it. That is the extent of my experience with Magnums. I would buy another.

But I generally fly larger aircraft that require a 1.20 and I am a great fan of the OS 1.20 4 stroke with the pump. I use gas on my larger planes, although a 1.80 or a 2.20 4 stroke would do the job handily. But I like the fuel economy and absolute reliability of the gas 2 strokes.

One hears about problems with Magnums. But one also hears problems with Saitos too. I don't know about that.

I'd not hesitate to buy a Magnum based upon my own personal experience.

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 AM
AVGJohn

I have Magnum 91 four strokes in four different planes now. I also have an OS 52 four stroke and a Saito 65 four stroke. I think the Saito is the best followed closely by the OS. But the Magnums have performed in excellant fashion and I've never had a bit of a problem with them. I consider myself a sport flyer and don't really look for ultra high performance in an engine..
Old 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Nutty_Gnome

Is there a reason for a sport flyer who only flys on a few weekends to spend the money on the OS or Saito four strokes? Will the Magnum get the job done at half the price? Advice is welcomed, Thanks! N_G

Yes the magnum will get the job done. I just ordered one of those 70s thats on sale and might order one of the 90s as well. I think the magnum 4 stroke is the ideal weekend sport flyer engine. Great price, super reliable and runs great on 5%. They are a little heavier and underpowered when compared to the Saito but when you factor in price they are a great bargain.

If you want awesome 3D power and good power to wieght ratio and dont mind buying 30% fuel the saito or ys is your best bet. If you want a reliable engine for good sport flying, the magnum is hard to beat.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

HAve both Saito and Magnum in various sizes and it is hard to tell any difference if just sport flying. As to the comments not as powerful I have worked wiht differentprops to get better performance and this seems to work. From my experience Magnums seem to run best on APC props. From the 30 to the 150 twin I have not had any problems to speak of. I agree on the Saito being a beter quality but for the cot of a Magnum today buy one and try it.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 PM
rc-plane

YS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 PM
sparkknocker
My Feedback: (2)

Have used many Magnum, Saito, and O.S. engines in the 4 stroke region and to tell you the truth I have a 91 Magnum that runs better then anything else I have. Perhaps I got a good one but whatever the case me and my local hobby shop owner agrees that Magnum engines are up to Par with the rest
Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
410onefor

I have recently tried the rcv 58cd and have been very happy with it. There not cheap though but it's by far my favorite engine. Rcv does not carry a 70 size but the 91cd would fit. The design of the engine is baically maintenance free. Just fuel up and go.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:02 AM
2slow2matter

I own several magnums. Between my father, brother, and myself, we have a total of 4 magnum 70s, 5 91s, and 2 120s. That is a total of 11 magnum engines. We've never had a lick of trouble out of any of them that wasn't caused by a crash or some other pilot error. They are simply great running engines. As a matter of fact, my brother and father are ordering more during this sale right now. THe downside of them is that they are heavy, and don't produce as much power as equivilent saito (can't speak for OS). We have saito's and magnums both, and the saitos far out perform the magnums. However, if you want to get into the air reliably, and cheaply, go with the magnum and never regret it. It is a great motor. Just understand that it will be heavier than the others. I've actually used this to my advantage before when I wanted to install rear elevator servos and such. Of all, the 120 is probably the doggiest of the bunch for it's size. The 70 is in a forty sized mustang and we've clocked it at over ninety miles per hour, so I wouldn't call that a dog by no means. The 91s are mostly in sticks and other sport birds, and they also have lots of guts--but nothing like the saito one hundred.

Would I recommend them? Absolutely. Most people who don't do not, and have not ever owned them. They are elitest who feel like if you can't or won't buy the most expensive stuff then you are not as good as them.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:40 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I wouldn't take a Magnum if it was offered for free. I had one, it was weak and unreliable.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 AM
RCVFR

I run Magnum 52 and 70 4 strokes (and I just bought the 91 4 stroke), also 46 and 91 2strokes, and I have found them all to be "as advertised" or better. The 91 2 stroke is a treasure, easy starting, easy tuning, excellent power - every thing an engine should be.

Unfortunately, no one gave them to me, I had to buy them. [sm=72_72.gif] But, if there are any give aways out there, I will provide a good home!
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
2slow2matter

So you are basing your opinion on one? I had an OS that was bad. Never could get it to run right. Got it replaced and all is good now. SHould I turn down any and all OS engines that are offered to me?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Actually I sent the first one back to Magnum and the second one ran just as bad.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference I can find between the magnum 1.20 and the os 1.20 is the price. I believe they were both designed by the same person... I have one of each and given the price difference I will buy a magnum next..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32929.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	615057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13378.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	615058  
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM
JimO

I was told from the same factory, just different finishing. I know for a fact the parts are interchangable, replaced an OS 52 carb with a Magnum, used OS exhaust extensions and valve cover gaskets on my 1.20.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Ed_Moorman

I have both Saito and Magnum 4-strokes in several sizes. Lately, I have been buying Magnums because the price is right and mine have all run well. Here are what I think are the differences:

Saitos are more expensive.
Saitos are lighter. This makes them popular with the 3D crowd, especially the new .82 and the 1.00 & 1.25.
Saitos run well. I can certify that for the .56, .72 and .91.
The Golden Knight Saitos look really good on a plane, but are even more expensive.

Magnums are cheaper.
Magnums are heavier, the same weight as OS.
Magnums run well.
The .70 is a honey of an engine. Mine ran great from the git-go. The .52s are hard to beat. The .91 is excellent. The .80 is the same engine and runs good on a 14-5 prop. The 1.20 is good. I also had a .61 that had virtually no compression from day 1, but it started and ran well every time.

One more thing, don't even think about buying parts for and fixing a Magnum. Box it up and send it to Global Services. They are great. A buddy and I dunked the 2 .52s in a twin seaplane. The bearings later went out. Mailed them in and asked for an estimate. They were fixed and returned-no charge. They are now in another twin.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
2slow2matter

"The .70 is a honey of an engine. Mine ran great from the git-go."
I'll second that. I just feel like my 120 is kind of doggish, but maybe I'm expecting too much out of it. I have it on a CG Ultimate 300 and it by no means has unlimited vertical. It does fly well, though!
The others--all great motors too. I don't guess I was aware that there was an .80 four stroke. Guess I should pay more attention--especially since I own so many to begin with.
Oh, and about fixing them yourself. It seems as if they are always out of the part I need. Always the one I need. but they do eventually get it in--and, you can always go with OS parts. Again, two thumbs up!
BTW, I usually need parts only because of pilot error.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:21 AM
rotccapt

i realy have not had good experiance with magnums. i had one 61 2 stroke and i could not get that engine to run right. i do have a saito 72 and soon a 62 and i love them after getting the low end right my 72 is awsome and i run it on 20/20. i also believe in the you get what you pay for. it is just my experiance. i baught a 46la to save money and then wished i had baught an ax.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Just my 2 cents - I currently have a Saito .65 that runs like a watch, numerous OS' (4 each .40 FPs, a .46FX, .70 Surpass 4S. .25 and a .15 ) that all run great, 2 each Supertigre .45s, and just ordered the .91 Magnum 4S. The worst engine I had was a Tower Hobbies .40 (OS clone) that never ran worth a darn. I was given a Magnum .80 4S that the bearings were shot - just sent it in for a rebuild and new bearings to Global (maybe they will be nice and fix it for free!! - I doubt it). It has been my experience that if you break in an engine correctly, it will last for years. Just never run them too lean. My .40 FPs are all over 15 years old, but run just as good today as the day I got them. Also, it is my understanding that the Magnum .91 4S is a ringed engine, not an ABC like the OS.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey rc-plane,

I'm with you on this one. YS engines are the BEST. They may cost more, and they can be touchy to tune, but their power is second to none. Besides, I am just finishing up my 60 size U-Can-Do that I put a YS91 in. I can't wait for warmer weather so I can fly it.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM
sparkknocker
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

Actually I sent the first one back to Magnum and the second one ran just as bad.
Give me the second one. I will use it. I am sure it is operator error