Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tail wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:48 AM
MillerTime212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail wheels

I have two airplanes. One I bought at a auction which is a Sig Four Star 60 and I am putting together a seagull extra 300ep (which is a park flyer). On both airplanes I noticed they have the tailwheels mounted to the rudder. I think this would be a bad situation. Wouldn't this put alot of stress on the rudder and eventually break it. I was thinking about putting a different set up that would mount to the fuselage. I have not been flying for very long and am just starting with taildraggers so I have no idea what the norm is. Any feedback would be helpful.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:55 PM
bbbair

Default RE: Tail wheels

Either will work and both are done regularly.

The biggest difference is the extra work and material needed to have a 'Steerable' tailwheel if it isn't attached to the rudder. [:'(]

Your concern of undue wear and tear on the rudder is well thought out BUT there isn't a lot of weight on the tail, and the amount of time that the plane spends taxiing is minor...in short don't worry about it.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:49 PM
feihu

carfan:

You can use a tailwheel bracket that connects to the fuselage, and use a tiller arm to connect to the rudder. With a tiller arm, you can change the tailwheel deflection with respect to the rudder by removing the tailwheel pivot from the rudder hinge line; thus desensitizing the tailwheel.
One attachment shows the tailwheel bracket and tiller arm for a 1/2 A model and a 40 - 60 size model. The other attachment shows a 1/2 : 1 deflection of tailwheel to rudder on a 40 size airplane.
For park flyers, I just use a piece of tubing epoxied to the fuselage with the tailwheel and rudder control arm attached to the rudder. A washer is soldered onto the tailwheel wire that transfers the load from the tailwheel to the fuselage.

feihu

Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
feihu

Here are the attachments.

feihu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34426.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	614390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84024.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	614391  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to make sure there's a good thrust bearing for the impact of landing. The side-to-side stresses can be handled with a well reenforced rudder where the torque rod connects. The rudder servo should be tough enough to pivot the plane's tail (the wheel stays put, after all) at rest. The wheel doesn't drag back and forth - the whole rear fuselage shimmies to the side. Once in motion it's just castering along and turns pretty easily side-to-side. I usually use a stronger servo for the rudder, anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97422.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	614408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39402.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	614409