Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hollow core door vs. Solid panel door for building table

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
No difference in warp resistance between the two
13.79%
Big difference, use solid panel door
13.79%
Solid panel not worth cost, go with hollow core
72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Hollow core door vs. Solid panel door for building table

Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
spirit pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hollow core door vs. Solid panel door for building table

I've heard some debate lately on wether a hollow core door or a solid panel door is better to use for a building table assuming 3M77 adhesive and ceiling tile panels are used. The debate is whether a solid panel door will resist warping better than a hollow core door, which is less expensive. I decided to do this poll to see what the concensus is.

Thanks
Rich
Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hollow core door vs. Solid panel door for building table

The right answer is not posted. I hang doors as part of my job and hollow core doors are much more resistant to warping than solid core doors. They also accept push pins much easier, I never use ceiling tiles - too mushy.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I concur
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot depends on the weather! If you are in a controlled area (like in a house), it will take longer for the hollow core door to warp than if it is used in an unheated garage and you happen to live in a humid area. I've used one for over 5 years before it began to show signs of sagging between the center brace and the edges.

Now I use a Wright Building Board and LOVE IT....to bad they are out of business....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I'll let the other guys answer your hollow door solid door question. I personally have a 4 x 8 chunk of 1" plywood on top of an old metal office desk I found and built up a 2 x 4 frame around it and under it. Is absolutely solid, and after 7 years is still square AND FLAT.

I guess my contribution is to suggest using a sheet of drywall instead of the ceiling tiles. I think it's much flatter, it won't warp, you can write and scribble on it, tape sticks to it, and it'll hold a T-pin like crazy. It's also double sided and when you have wore it out, bust it up, toss it in the garbage and go to HD or Lowes and pickup another sheet of it for a couple of bucks
Old 02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

The drywall is an excellent idea. I have used it on occasion and contary to my ceiling tile statement, it is NOT mushy.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TopThumbs

I use a commercial type extra heavy solid core door I salvaged from an school. The kind with the metal kick panel on the bottom.
It's 2 inches or thicker and heavy as a mother trucker.
I built my bench out of this and use a hollow core door over top (I had several laying around and only one wass NOT warped) so the pins will stick. Once warn out or warps (my shop is unheated whilst not occupied) I will use sheetrock.

I usually build my benches out of 3/5 inch ply over a 2x4 frame with supports every 24inches. This will build you a very sturdy bench on which you can use your hollow coor door or sheet rock or tile or whatever.

bill
Old 02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

I have both and each are excellent for their intended applications. Hollow for building on as pins do take easily - and solid for banging, hammering, stomping on when things don't go right . I've applied about 3-4 coats for a good water sealer to the doors for added spill protection.

Haven’t seen any warping issue on either. The hollow sits on top of two saw horses in the basement and the solid sits in the unheated garage (for the last 4 years). Just gave each a fresh coat of poly past summer. Ready to take some more abuse!

As for the cost difference, I always check out the scratch'n dent sections of the HD / Lowes. Got my last solid sore door for $5 ....and all it had were a few minor scratches that I could live with for that price.