Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub - Explained

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Piper Cub - Explained

Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
fadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub - Explained

Hellp everybody
I need some advices/information on the CUB plane as I am getting more and more interested in a 60 size one

1. How difficult is it to fly, land, and take off?? What shall I expect?
2. Can I do some acrobatics with it? Is a clipped wing version much better?
3. What model/make you suggest?
4. Do you think one easily gets bored from a Cub?

I am currently on my second plane, first low wing and I've been flying it for three months.
I am looking for a more challenging plane to graduate from my Sig 4* 40 ARF.

Your comments are welcomed.

Regards
Fadi
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 AM
alan0899

Default RE: Piper Cub - Explained

G'day Fadi,
How ya going, I think you would get bored very quickly with a Cub, the 4*40 is much more aerobatic than a Cub.
Have you looked at scale aerobatic aircraft, like a Yak 54,a Diabolo, a Katana, an Extra 300, or a Edge 540, they would be much more challenging, & teach you a lot more about flying than a Cub.
When set up correctly all of the above are excellent planes to fly, & not boring.
The size & brand is up to you, I have a 160 size Katana, & a 60 size Diabolo, & they are never boring. See pix.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16053.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	616338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98776.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	616339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17887.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	616340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10171.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	616341  
Old 02-08-2007, 05:49 AM
fadi

hi alan
Well in fact you might be right about that, and I am going to get a real pattern ship also; but what I want for now is a challenging plane for landing and cross wind and all those difficult things that I still want to master.

I heard that a Cub is difficult to land, handle cross wind, and it required coordinated turns in the air for it to tun properly.
I guess what I am saying, is that I want to sharpen my flying skills
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 AM
alan0899

G'day Fadi,
A Cub is very easy to land, it has a large high wing, & it floats, you can still learn side slip landings & tail dragger control with a scale aerobatic plane, in my humble opinion, a good large scale aerobatic aircraft will certainly sharpen you flying skills.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: fadi81

Hellp everybody
I need some advices/information on the CUB plane as I am getting more and more interested in a 60 size one

1. How difficult is it to fly, land, and take off?? What shall I expect?
2. Can I do some acrobatics with it? Is a clipped wing version much better?
3. What model/make you suggest?
4. Do you think one easily gets bored from a Cub?

Your comments are welcomed.

Regards
Fadi
1-I think if you can handle a 4-Star then a Cub shouldn't give you much trouble, although it handles differently. It has more adverse yaw in turns, but that can be minimized with proper rudder coordination and some differential throw in the ailerons (more up than down). Taking off is probably about the same; both are tail-draggers, need rudder input to keep straight 'til lift-off. Landing, the Cub is probably more of a floater than the 4-Star, and won't handle crosswinds as well. The great thing about a Cub is you'll learn the basics well with one, how to coordinate turns, sideslip in crosswinds, use opposite aileron with rudder to turn "flat" in the wind. Sure, you can use an Extra or Cap to do the same, but why don't you see full-scale pilots learning on an aerobat? It's all about energy management.

2-A full-span cub is fairly slow in roll rate, but does a decent loop, stall turn, or split-ess, but not a lot of high alpha or snap maneuvers. Clip the wings and it improves the roll rate and opens some more possibilities.

3- Depends if you want a kit or ARF. I think Sig's 1/5 scale Cub kit is the best of all the "60 size", both in flying performance and looks, the Hangar-9 ARF is the best ARF, with the GP or Goldberg a close second.

4-I never get bored with either of the two Cubs I own, both "60 size" (one is a Sig kit and the other is a Hangar-9 ARF, with floats). I can always polish the basics with one, can always learn something new, and it is a very relaxing plane to fly. But I can't say you won't get bored, it all depends on what you like to do.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM
gbrandt1
My Feedback: (1)

A Cub is alot of fun.I too have owned numerous ones....from glo to gas to clipped wing. It will definitely sharpen your flying skills. Especially take-offs.Can be very uneventful or interesting depending on alot of different variables.I am in the market for a large Cub right now. As soon as I can trade off my guitar and amp....anyone interested in trading?????
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 PM
fadi

humm... well it seems I'am being talked out of it
Dunno what to choose then as a third model!

Probably will have to go straight to my pattern ship, that's what I always wanted