Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does anyone buy those cheap Ebay batts??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does anyone buy those cheap Ebay batts??

Old 02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
ROBCAR
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone buy those cheap Ebay batts??

I was on ebay and looking at reciever batteries and see some places offer 2 2000 Mah ni-mh batts for $13.95. Are they any good??

Also, Can I charge a NI-MH battery with my stock futaba wall charger that is made for nicads??
Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Does anyone buy those cheap Ebay batts??

ORIGINAL: ROBCAR
I was on ebay and looking at reciever batteries and see some places offer 2 2000 Mah ni-mh batts for $13.95. Are they any good??
I bought a "3 for $25" deal once. 6 volt, 1850 mah Nimh packs. One would only show around 1300 mah on my cycler after several cycles. The other two appear to be fine. I tossed the bad pack as I didn't trust it. I guess the other two for $12.50 each are an OK deal but I'll stick with a known supplier from now on.
I have been happy with packs ordered from:
www.radicalrc.com
www.hangtimes.com

ORIGINAL: ROBCAR
Also, Can I charge a NI-MH battery with my stock futaba wall charger that is made for nicads??
Yes. It just takes longer than charging a 600 mah pack. Hangtimes sells a wall wart charger for about $20 that charges at a 180 mah rate.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:41 AM
masonman

I'm a sucker.....I bought one of the 2500ma ni-mh packs for my radio. The longest it would stay up from a full charge was 22 mins. Stick with the good stuff man
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

I agree... I bought a couple nImH batts off ebay once...As it turns out they were nicds.... [:@]
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Runway

Batteries from eBay. You'll find people that support their use, and those that won't touch them. Me? I feel that using batteries which MAY be more prone to earlier failure [rather than those from tried and trusted trade names] is a false economy.
Having said that, I've never had a battery failure from a 'good' trade name - not ever!

Your battery charger - if it is designed for nicads only, it is unlikely to be able to detect a NIMH peak PROPERLY. Don't take a risk - do it properly and safely with the correct kit.

Good luck.
Runway
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Runway

Your battery charger - if it is designed for nicads only, it is unlikely to be able to detect a NIMH peak PROPERLY. Don't take a risk - do it properly and safely with the correct kit.

Good luck.
Runway
The Futaba wall wart does not do peak detection. It charges at a fixed rate until you disconnect it. It is fine for Nimh. Just like nicad, you have to disconnect when you think the battery is charged.