Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lipo's for receiver packs can it be done and how?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipo's for receiver packs can it be done and how?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
dunk
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo's for receiver packs can it be done and how?

I have been buying nimh batterys and am looking to get longer flight times and reduced weight. How can a person use the lipo batteries and get a 6.0volt max to your receiver. Is there a voltage regulator that a guy can buy some place? Also what would be a good set up for a 1/4 extra. I am trying to devise a way to use one LIPO that would have the (mah) to handle the current for the ignition as well as power the servos and receiver. Am I dreaming or can it be done? Any help would be appreciated.

I would at least like to use a lipo for the receiver and servos if nothing else.

Thanks
Dunk
Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo's for receiver packs can it be done and how?

Typically instead of Lipo's we use Li-Ion. It is the same chemical technology, but packaged inside traditional metal clad cylinders instead of plastic pouches. You buy a 2-cell pack that puts out a nominal 7.4 volts. Since this is too high for the receiver and servos, you buy a voltage regulator that drops the voltage to 6.0 volts. You can buy this as a system. See troybuilt for their offering. Fromeco is popular, too.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Duralite and Fromeco are the popular choices. I charge my Funtana with a Duralite system once every several weekends.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Is that true? What is the nominal mAh of your system then? I have measured that for one day at the field (let's say 1 hour total fly time) my plane needs minimum 5 to 6 hundred mAh, not to mention 2 hundred mAh that my NiMH pack loses while sitting between charging to flying (unless I charge the battery on the spot).
That makes a total consumption of 1000 mAh, to be on the safe side.
I can't really dare to fly 2 days in a row with my 2200 mAh battery pack, could you?
That is the point where my question has come from.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:30 AM
perttime

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one solution:
http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/LiPoRx-e.htm
Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Well its a 4000mah pack, I pulled it out of a heli I sold and I figured why not. Its got large high torque digital servos and I fly it 6 or 7 times a day. I've never got it anywhere near stop fly voltage of 6.9 under a 1 amp load. Also with Lithium batteries if I charge it today and take it out July 4th the voltage will be either the same or less than .1v different.