Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Want to make a parachute drop.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Want to make a parachute drop.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
DaveCFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to make a parachute drop.

I have a Hangar 9 40 size J3 Cub that I think would be the perfect airplane for adding a paratrooper. I have been trying to figure ways to make the drop door. There is plenty of room inside the plane to add something like this but I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it. I found this link for an external drop box that would attach with rubber bands but the angled underside of this plane makes it hard to use this. [link]http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atricks.htm[/link]
I would rather keep it all inside the plane so that there is no chance on something snagging the ground. I fly off grass and sometimes it is a little longer than optimal.
I want to make a door that will close too because my exhaust is on the underside of the plane and I don't want all that oil blowing in for too long.
Anybody have any suggestions? I'm sure I'm not the first guy that has wanted to do this.

Thank You!
DaveCFI
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Want to make a parachute drop.

This maybe a place to start. I have this in my Super Flyin' King with a modification to drop a skydiver.

http://www.btemodels.com/sfk_candydrop.html

Basically I have a floor with a box that holds the skydiver with rubberbands. A servo pulls a pin that releases one end of the rubberbands and the skydiver drops.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:42 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Cut the bottom of the plane the size you need. Then, make a single door to replace the hole. hinge that door at the front, so that when it opens, it will open away from the slipstream--so the door won't get ripped off, or create more drag than necessary. Now, attach a servo horn to the door, and attach that to a servo. Use the servo to lower and raise the door. The paratrooper will "slide" out of the door when it lowers. All you need is for it to lower enough for the trooper to slide out, and then close it again. you'll have to figure out a way to make sure he doesn't rattle around and off of the door while you are taking off and climbing out. Maybe a small, lightweight box on the inside of the airplane, above the door that you would drop him into. I hope this makes sense, and it's just one idea.
I agree with you--no external box. it doesn't look right. don't mess up the scale lines of a cub like that. Also, with a box above the door, you could load it with candy or whatever and drop other stuff as well. Be careful, though, you'd be surprised at how hard candy feels when dropped from an airplane!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
mountainroad
My Feedback: (18)

I like the idea's, I have been tossing it around in my head for a long time. Any Ideas on how to do this with a low wing aircraft?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Druff1

I just did it with my low wing stick. I'll try to get some pics of it and maybe a video. My son thinks it's pretty cool when i drop 6 parachute guys out of it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Druff1

Here are some pics and a video.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UILdxnP-oqU]parachute door video[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11362.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	921617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15828.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	921618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57850.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	921619  
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM
mountainroad

how does that effect your center of gravity? I like the idea, very well done.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Druff1

I'm not exactly sure how much weight i added to the front. I actually put the door on before i checked the CG.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

The quick and easy way to do it if you don't want to tear up your airplane:

If it has a bolt on wing, poke a hole in the bottom of a plastic cup. put one of the wing bolts through the cup when you screw the wing on, you may need a washer to shim the gap between the cup and the top of the wing. Tighten it down. Now put whatever you want to drop in the cup. Do a loop, hold inverted for a second. Presto. If it has a rubberband wing, make a slot on each side of the bottom of the cup, run a popsicle stick through it, run a couple of rubberbands over each side of the stick.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
mountainroad

I to be able to drop candy and other stuff. I really like the idea that Druff1 has. Do you think you could build it into the center of the wing, just aft of the main spars, and then add plywood to the sides and other wing ribs to stengthen the wing, or do you think that would not work? My concern with the drop that Druff1 has is only the C.G. and if I had to add weight to the front of the plane that will subtract from total payload weight. Any ideas?