Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Trouble attaching letters on top of wing

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trouble attaching letters on top of wing

Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 PM
ulfenator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble attaching letters on top of wing

Hi, I'm building a Great Planes 60 size J-3 Cub and I'm having trouble with the decal "NC 81455" on top of the wing, bottom one went on OK, but the top of wing has so many compound curves the decal won't lay down flat, get a lot of wrinkles. The Cub is covered in Ultracote.
I tried separating each letter and number but I'm still having problems, by the way I'm using water with a few drops of dish washing detergent in order to float / position the decal.
Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks
Ulf

Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Trouble attaching letters on top of wing

cut your letters out of ultra coat using a stencil. I draw my letters on the back using the stencil as a guide. i also use monocoat so the backing stays put. dont forget if your drawing on the backing to turn the stencil backwards, cut em out. then you can place them and replace them until you like where they are and apply heat to set them. i also use clear finger nail polish to seal the edges.
I used this method on a 4 * 60 both wings and fuselage shes 2 1/2 years old with 150 flights on her and the letters are still there.
Good luck
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cut them out of Monokote and use the windex method to put them down on the wing
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_603331/anchors_603331/mpage_1/key_flag/anchor/tm.htm#603331]Applying monokote graphics with windex.[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
ulfenator

Thanks guys!
I'm going to try cutting out the letters and numbers from the decal sheet first and if that doesn't work I'll use some Monocote and do the same.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't going to work. The mylar stickers you are trying to use do not stretch or shrink and that is why you are having trouble. You might as well save yourself some time and aggravation by following all the good advice already given here.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 AM
ulfenator

I have to argee with you all, Mylar stickers are not very friendly when applying on compound curves, Monocote or Ultracote would probably be the best to use and iron them down.
I did use the mylar, and number 8 was giving me the most trouble getting it down with some wrinkles / creases... [&o]

I will not make that same mistake again...
Thanks for all the help.
Ulf