Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Allergic to CA ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Allergic to CA ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:06 AM
hdebruin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allergic to CA ?

After about two years of absence from modeling, I started again this januari. Ever since then I started having a bad cold. Nose dripping, sneezing, the works. Also at one point I experienced difficulty breathing. So I went to the doc, and he said I had an lung infection. Put me on anti-biotics for a week. It got less, and after about one and a half week I was ok again (I also finished my model).

Then yesterday I started building a new model. And lo and behold, last night my 'cold' was back again, and I started having trouble breathing again. My immediate thought was 'Damn, the infection is back'. But after some more pondering, I may have another idea. I've heard about people being allergic to CA. Would it be possible that such an allergy starts after years of troublefree working with CA ? Anyone have any experience with this ?

For the time being, I'll just use epoxy and white glue. If my 'infection' and 'cold' clear up, I'll know what the trouble is.....

Any comments are very welcome.

Hans
Old 02-08-2003, 09:37 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allergic to CA ?

Exactly what I have experienced. I went to the doc also to see if we could do something before a Hawaii trip. He said it was a virus. Cleared up and enjoyed Hawaii. After returning I began building and had the symptoms. Sneezing, coughing! I had visited an experienced modeller before all this and he said it wasn't a cold but CA allergic reaction. He was right. When I visit a modellers home and they have been gluing I suffer for a day or two. I am using odorless CA but it isn't as good so other glues are used.
This is cumulative and can happen at any time after many years. Epoxy allergies can also come about after years.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default Allergic to CA ?

I was getting severe headaches after some intensive building sessions. Once I eased up on the building time and switched to odorless glue, the headaches dimished and disappeared. I suggest that you make sure your building area is well-ventilated.

I think the odorless takes much longer to cure, even with a shot of accelerator, but I think once it dries the bond is just as good as the "regular" CA. I guess that's rationalizing...anything to get rid of those killer headaches I was getting.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:41 PM
CAPtain232

Default Allergic to CA ?

ME TOO. I built my first plane without any issues. The second plane I caught a "COLD" kept working on the plane and ended up having the "COLD" for 6 MONTHS....I realized after about 2 or 3 weeks that it wasn't a cold but an allergic reaction. NEVER did go to the doctor, I am too stuburn for that.

At it's worst, my "COLD" had me aching from about the waist up. All the sneezing had the muscles in my neck, back and chest so sore that when I would sneeze again they would all strain.....OOOHHH so much pain...........I wear a mask suited for ORGANIC VAPORS at ALL TIMES now. No more problems.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default Allergic to CA ?

CAPtain232...where does one obtain a "mask suited for ORGANIC VAPORS"?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Intruder38

Default Allergic to CA ?

The symptoms you describe are classic allergic reactions to CA. I used CA for a long time with no ill effects, but eventually developed sensitivity to the stuff. It wasn't long before even a whiff of regular CA would give me asmathic bronchitis, not a fun thing. It took me a little while to convince myself that it was the CA, but there is now no doubt in my mind that it was. A little research revealed that there are even more serious possibilities, namely heart arythmia. My advice is to avoid the risk and switch to odorless CA which has a different chemical formulation (although it does have a shorter shelf life and slower set-up time) where you need wicking and aliphatics where you don't. Since I made the switch I have not had a recurrence of the symptoms.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:58 PM
CAPtain232

Default Allergic to CA ?

You can get a HALF MASK (covers nose and mouth) at sears, they sell the ORGANIC VAPOR (pink colored) filters there too. Should last you at least 6 months, but may be able to go 1 yr. The mask itself will last a long time. The filters I would suggest you replace anytime you think you should. I change them every 3 Months, but I do a lot of building.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:14 PM
DaveB

Default Allergic to CA ?

I have a similar problem. After a building sesssion with CA, even in a well ventilated space, I will exhibit all the signs of a cold plus asthma. I have finally convinced myself it is the CA.

I will build now mostly with "Tite Bond" and expoxy. I tried the odorless, but it doesn't seem to work well for me.

DaveB
Old 02-08-2003, 05:26 PM
pinball-RCU

Default Allergic to CA ?

Since I sometimes get colds in the winter, and I usually only build in the winter, and I only have one subject to test with (me), and I don't want to do anything unethical with the subject to make him sick, I can't say my conclusions are particularly scientific, but here is my experience:

I too noticed that after building for a couple of evenings with CA, even with a fan blowing across my work, I would get what felt exactly like a cold. My flying friend is a physician, and he said, "Now how can CA give you a virus?" I said, I don't know, but it happens to me and it sucks. After a day or so of not building, I was all better.

So I started wearing a mask I got at Home Depot. It's made by AOSafety, and the filters say "R51A Chemical Cartridge For organic vapors". I think it is working, because 1) I cannot smell the CA through it, and 2) no more colds immediately after a building session.

Other factors: If my eyes start to sting, I get out of the room. I used thin CA very sparingly.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allergic to CA ?

When I went to body school 12 years ago, I learned that many of the painters in the field would develop a sensitivity to certain paints after working with them for decades. Things are fine, then one day it's like your body says, 'that's enough' and you have a sensitivity.

I just got out of the hospital with bronchitis that got out of hand, and my Respiratory Therapist was a long time RC pilot. We talked about planes and such at great length, but we also talked about my bronchitis, and other lung ailments. I learned some shocking things talking with this guy.

It is possible to develop asthma, not only from chemicals used in building, but also BALSA DUST! He informed me that any fine particles, ie: balsa dust, wheat/barley dust, talc, fine dirt, etc. can lead to asthma, COPD, and emphazema (sic?).

Yikes! And you know that heartburn you get with a maiden flight or after you crash your just built beauty? It can cause cancer. Something else I learned in the hospital after talking to my Doctor about my incredibly painful heartburn.

Maybe the surgeon general should make all plane manufacturers put a warning label on their products:

'RC airplanes have been known to cause Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, Emphazema, skin rash, heartburn, diahrea, profuse sweating, welded together fingertips, impotency, cancer, lacerations, isolation, and DIVORCE!!'

Old 02-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Lean540

Default Organic vapour cartridge

It is a very good idea to wear the organic vapor respirator when using epoxy as well as CA.
I cannot stress the importance of this enough!
I have worked in the waste treatment industry now for the last 14 years and you learn a few things on the way.
You do not want to be the guy that ends up with chronic illness after repeated exposure to various chemicals.
We all tend to get complacent about the chemicals we work with when building these things, we shouldn't.
Tolerance levels can vary a great deal with individuals, and, you will end up with varying results.
I have experienced the shortness of breath when working with CA as well, this can be very scary.
Cumulative affects are what you are trying to avoid, as well as acute exposure, which can happen very easily.
The best advice I can leave you with is to purchase and wear it, when you are done, put it in a sealed container as they are carbon based and will readily absorb and perish if left out.
Most are rated for no more than eight hours depending exposure and atmosphere levels.
I would think that exposure for modeling would be very minimal and you should get alot of use out of a cheap disposable.
Play safe.
Lean 540
Old 02-11-2003, 01:49 AM
Ernie Misner

Default Allergic to CA ?

Absolutely right on information guys. Keep some rubber gloves handy when using CA, epoxy, and things such as acetone or alcohol. Remember that these things are absorbed right through your skin and into the bloodstream, and then your liver has to work especially hard to filter them out. Toxins, toxins.

Does anyone recall the saftety article that was in the AMA magazine a while back? It seems that long-time users of CA are coming down with heart ailments. I do have a friend that this has happened to. Use lots of ventilation!

Ernie
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Default Allergic to CA ?

Me too! I only use CA and epoxy while I have my organic respirator on. Mine is the AOSafety half mask. It was less than $20 at our local home center (Farm & Fleet). I think the model no. is 9511. It's mostly carpenter glue for me now. I totally wrung out 2 planes made that way this summer with no problems.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Ernie Misner

Default Allergic to CA ?

Remember the old Testors and origional Ambroid glue we had decades ago? That glue worked great but I think the modern versions are quite different since they have taken the glue sniffing fumes out of it. I loved the feeling of getting that glue all over my finger tips as a kid....:-) Gee then there was the great smells associated with silkspan and dope.

Ernie
Old 06-14-2003, 01:17 AM
painly
My Feedback: (4)

Default Allergic to CA ?

what a world we live in
Old 06-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Holeshot

Default Allergic to CA ?

Some of the worst fumes are when you grind through CAd balsa (smokes real bad.) I don't know if I'd call it an allergic reaction. More like a toxic reaction. After a CA session last week, I blew my nose and out came a blood scab, I knew it felt like a raw, burnt nostril!!! I'm absolutely SURE that this stuff is gonna have long term effects, so the organic mask should be purchased sooner rather than later. Can use it for painting as well.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:13 AM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Default Allergic to CA

I too had the same symptoms and ended up going to the doctor a few times. I am allergic to CA and Epoxy. If I glue with CA I cant breathe and Epoxy particles while sanding make my eyelids itch and droop like you wouldnt believe. I now use my Auto Paint supplied air mask which has a fresh air hose and compresspr located about 75 feet away while a exhaust fan from the room removes all fumes. The only way I can breathe. My I look like I am in a paint booth and/or a funny Scuba divers rig. ha.

Once this happens it never goes away. If you insist on using the TC-23 Cartridge type masks then keep them in a tight Tupperware type container or they pick up junk from the air and are useless. Just because you cant smell it dont make it OK. This CA is dangerous. I have also built models with the Pica HD 601 quick settng Aliphatic glue with great success. You must clamp and hold the balsa however. The Ambroid is also in my glue box.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:06 AM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Default Allergic to CA ?

Ok, guess what? Me too! Man I thought I had was just getting old. I am, but this was different. Each time I started working on a model, presto, I would get a cold. Doctor said I had allergies. had never had before. Prescribed Allegra and it cleared up. I don't take them all the time, but I do when I start to work on a model. It sure has helped me to keep the nose from acting up. I will have to try the orderless CA. Had heard about it but haven't tried it. Man, this CA must be some mean stuff to hit so many in the hobby. I have also heard that bals does the same thing. You might want to try Allegra if you still have problems. It sure helped me.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:40 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default Allergic to CA ?

I tried some CA from Australia that is so use friendly that you can run a bead and hit it with kicker and put it right under your nose and absolutely no reaction or fumes. Heck I liked it so much that I now import limited quantities and it's all I use.