Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Vacuum forming

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:09 PM
b417k
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum forming

Any info concerning the weight of the plastic sheets, where to buy it, will a covering heat gun be too hot, how much vacuum is required or a lead to a source for this info will be appreciated. I would like to give vacuum forming a try and thanks.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Tippie

Default Vacuum forming

I did a search on "google" by putting in "vacuum form". You might do a search like that. Found a site that provides info to make a small vacuum form machine using a shop vac. Go to: www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html As far as the plastic, just any kind of plastic will not work. Best to check with a plastic sheet dealer for that info. I used sell industrial temp controls in the plastics industry and called on vacuum form companies (they don't use temp control, just a reostat). They had a table/platform with very small holes in it, like an air hocky table, and had a mold(s)/die placed on it. Depending on the mold there may also be tiny holes in the mold itself. They suspended the sheet of plastic over it that was heated by a heating element(s) over the top of the plastic sheet. When the plastic sheet got the "right sag" (experience dictated that) they lowered the sheet on the table and pulled a vacuum. Saw everything from truck bed liners to tiny blister pack covers being molded. There are scale builders that mold parts a lot, such as canopys and motor cowls and maybe one of them can give a little more insite. In addition some folks mold (melt) small parts in their oven or toaster oven.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:23 PM
tinker-RCU

Default forming

tell me what your going to form, i can help you.........33 yrs sign bus.
tinker [email protected]
Old 02-09-2003, 03:09 AM
omcusnr

Default Vacuum forming

follow these threads. the were very informative:

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...vacuum+forming

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...vacuum+forming

Both of these showed up when I searched for vacuum forming here on RC Universe. The first one is a step by step from Chad Vietch one of the fourm moderators. Good info.

Have Fun!!
Reid
Old 02-09-2003, 04:16 AM
linclogs

Default Vacuum forming

You can also check out this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...875&forumid=60

I posted several replies to this thread concerning this exact subject and even posted several photos of a home-made vacuum machine I designed and use..
Old 02-10-2003, 03:21 PM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vacuum forming

Micro Mark has a book for $15.00 that tells all. Can save you bunches of time, money, and head aches.

Les
Old 02-10-2003, 08:31 PM
b417k
My Feedback: (1)

Default THANK YOU.

My thanks to all that responded. Ben
Old 02-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vacuum forming

I searched a long time for plastic sheet that was the right size for my vacuum forming machine. I found that you can order the clear plastic for canopies from Balsa USA.