Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How Hard Is It 2 Recover ??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How Hard Is It 2 Recover ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hard Is It 2 Recover ??

Hi Guys,

Ive obtanied a Sig Wonder for a cheap price on ebay, but the covering is worse for wear........ how hard would it be to recover it myself ? ive never done covering before !!!!!!!!!!!

I mean what steps do i need to take if i want to go ahead, i just think it looks a bit tought due to everythings glued on and fitted......

Or should i just fly it as it is as once its in the air i guess you cant see how bad it looks, but im kinda one of those fussy ppl

Any help or advise welcome

Ps : The pic below is just an example of what it looks like, mine is in alot worse covering codition

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96014.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	622975  
Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
hrrcflyer

Default RE: How Hard Is It 2 Recover ??

Dragonheart,

My first suggestion is to fly it like it is. Then if you like the way it flies, then you can consider recovering it. On covering, there are numerous books on the market on covering airplanes. Your LHS should either have some books on covering, or they should be able to get some for you if they deal with airplanes. If I am not mistaken, I believe you can order books on covering form Tower Hobbies, or out of Model Airplane News. Also, Look at the post at the top of the Q & A page on new covering videos. The videos you can download and watch at any time. The same post also goes into other sources for books on covering.

As far as the first step goes. Buy yourself a good quality sealing iron, trim iron and heat gun. I have had the best results with 21st Century irons myself. They cost a little bit more, but they are worth it IMHO. It's not hard to do if you take your time and be patient.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. If not, post a reply here on RCU and you should be able to get any additional help you need. Good luck on your covering job.

FLy safe and have fun!!!
David
Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 PM
dmanson
My Feedback: (1)

Recovering is very doable. I just finished recovering a Cermark Javelin II. Assuming that you have some form of CA hinges on the control surfaces, you'll need to cut these so that the surfaces can be removed allowing each piece to be covered separately.

Rehinging can be a bit tricky because the "good" hinge locations were most likely used when the plane was originally built. Since you can't (easily, anyway) put new CA hinges at the some location as the original ones, you may find that the available new locations don't provide full support for the control surfaces. My solution was to use (Robart) hinge points where the original CA hinges were located. Drilling the holes for these using a standard "twist" bit doesn't work as the bit will be pushed off center by the embedded old CA hinge. Instead, I used a sharpened brass tube of the correct diameter as a drill bit, and held it in place with a well anchored guide. It worked like a dream, and the rehinged surfaces were perfectly aligned.

The second tip that I can offer is to use a heat gun to soften the glue for any covering that is not easily pulled off.

Otherwise, do a search and you'll find lot's of good information on how the recover.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 PM
speed lover

It is quite easy to cover planes it is a bit hard to get straight lines cut with scissors but I usualy cut it after I put it on with a new razor blade here is some pics of the first plane I covered not too long ago. does not look as good as this no more as I smashed it into the ground the ground being tarmac upside down but still repairable will be covering a plane a second time now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86048.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	623786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39246.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	623787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17464.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	623788  
Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Probably most of the covering damage is to the wing, especially the underside, and wing tips. Most of the time the control surfaces: Ailerons, (flaperons), Rudder remain in fairly good shape. If you choose a color the same as the control surfaces, you need not remove them.

Use your heat gun to soften the adhesive and pull gently, but steadily, especially on the sheeted surfaces. Careful with the ribs because if you attempt to pull with too much pressure they can split and peel pieces of the rib off. If you are going to use the same color, don't worry about small pieces that refuse to come off. Sand as best you can and cover over them.

Keep us posted and post pictures, if you can. Good Luck. Just be patient, take it slow. It's not as bad as you might think.