Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Made a OnBoard Lipo glow driver woot woot

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Made a OnBoard Lipo glow driver woot woot

Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 AM
meeki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a OnBoard Lipo glow driver woot woot

hello, well after no response from my last post asking if there was such a thing? well now there is!!! after $150.00 R & D i have a functioning onboard lipo driver. actual cot to build is 35 in parts now that i know what i need lol.

spks :

no load = 1.92v to 3.7v, thats right, small tuning pot to tweek-er in to best seting. with a 1 cell lipo 2000mah pack lasts a long long time!!!!

with glow conected = 1.2 to (above 2.2 dont want to fry glow plug) but we know its all about amps it has 5 amp steady and 8 amp peak at 45 seconds. thers no way to drown this baby.

well ill get on later tonight post picks and, with and, diamiter and, weight.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 AM
meeki

Default RE: Made a OnBoard Lipo glow driver woot woot

here are some pics, cant find my digital gram scale so wont have weight to night but i know that its weight is way less than 1 c cell 1.2v batt. held one of thoes the n the unit.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:30 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Nice,
do you have an exact parts list and where you purchased from?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
meeki

actually i have enough parts to make 6 more of these. if any one is interested i think ill sell a few of them. $35.00 ???? I think thats fair price. takes about 3 hrs to make and run through the tests to make sure that it works right with out much eletric noise. dont wnat them interfearin' with RX
Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
KI8FR

How does it work. You got it going to the rx to tern it on?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:19 PM
meeki

how does it work. well as it is now you have on or off. but im taking apart one of my old onboard glow to see how they made it work on the throttle setting. i would like to have this work the same way. or if i cant figure out how to make it work on the throttle i know how to make it channel activated so it would take a channel.

but as it stand now you would connect it in line with your current throttle activated onboard and remove your old nickle battery and put this one in its place or you could put it in and have an on off switch and work it that way.

i have ran it on a thunder power 1 cell lipo, 2000 mah and i gave up trying to run it out of juice after 15 min. im makein my second one right now and will try rigging it to throttle setting. stand by on this post i hope to have this evolved to a real nice setup.

the cool thing about this board as it is right now is what ever volt you put in you can adjust it from the in volt all the way down to haf that connected. so if you put 12 volts in you could have 6v out at 5 amps, 8 peak. so it doubbles as a converter for 2 or 3 cell lipo to standard out for rx and servos.

i really like building new (not on the market) project rc electronic stuff so any sugestions please let me know.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 PM
meeki

oh in reply to parts request to make one of these. im going to do one better after i get things worked out in a week ill make a cerict diagram (not the standard hard to read ones but one that is ez-for dummies style so any one with some salder skills can do it) ( you really need a steady hand and some skill to do this not the ez-est to do 1st time)
Old 02-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Newc

My first reaction to this was "Why bother/ A single cell battery doesn't really weigh that much." But, my second thought was - and this is the one I'm staying with - "This sort of thing is exactly the part of our hobby/sport that makes it so interesting - trying something new if for no other reason that it's new and hasn't been done before either by you or by anyone."

Good on 'Ya.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 AM
meeki

ok just got on digikey an orderd enough parts to make the fowllowing setup X10

controled through you throttle, you can set the glow to turn on and off at specific area of increase on remote.

on off via a channel of your choice if you wish insted of throttle.

16v to 8v in to power glow driver. or upon request 6v to 5v.

glow auto detects drowning and ups amps when wet with fuel to burn. cant put er out

best of all no 1.2 v batt needed to run.

well in a week all the parts will show and ill get to fabbin and pics soon to come.

any ideas of what i should build next????
Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Zort86

Hey, that looks great, I have a question. Can you use it with a 1.2v C-cell? What size bat pack you need for it? Do you have the schematic available fo us adventurous types.

Then next thing I think you need to so is a electronic ignition conversion for gas.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
meeki

yes im woirk ing on two versions.

one version is for no 1.2v cell

and the other is for a 1.2v cell

but the version for a 1.2v cell has been done. check the forum for the optiglow its a good alternitave DIY. parts can be hard to find this was done back in 1998/1999?

as to the conversion??? are you talking about glow to gas conversion ???? ive been looking into this but looks like jsut buying a gas engine would be ezer and mor cost efective.

oh jsut got one order of parts in (mosfet's) hope these will work other ones out of stock.

meeki