Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How much time per week do you RC??????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How much time per week do you RC??????

Old 02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much time per week do you RC??????

I have a question for all you RC Plane enthusiast out here on the world wide web. How many hours a week do you spend in your shop either building or flying. My wife and i are arguing over what is an acceptable amount of time to spend on this. I have 2 young children and am involved in our community. I am 31 years old and have a full-time job in the Agriculture industry. When you give your awnser please include if you are married single working or retired, just so we can put things into perspective.

Flyboy76
Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: How much time per week do you RC??????

Married, work from home, kids grown up and moved out. I spend about 15-20 hours a week since christmas.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

OK I'm 16, obviously single, but am prety much married to school and my social life. Last year I probably advradged 5-10 hours building and maby two flying. But thus far this year I've probably been advradging one a week. School is a necessary evil.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM
WacoNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

approx 30 hrs a week building and maybe 2 hrs a week in the summer flying.
I like building more than flying
Anthony
Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Married, 3 young kids, full time job, part time as a broadcaster for the local minor league hockey team.

4 or 5 hours tinkering during the week in the shop and atleast 1 full day out at the field on any nice weekend we dont have prior plans.

I can work on helis in the living room watching TV with her so that doesnt count against my good husband points and away time.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
meaden

I'm a few weeks short of 40...ugh...

Married, no kids, I spend maybe 2 hours a day building and tinkering, some time in the morning over coffee and some time in the evening. I try to go fly twice a week, weather permitting. I'm lucky on that front, I can arrange my work schedule around good flying days and take the afternoon or the day off depending on what's going on.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Married, 7 children, 8 grandkids. Early retired, 52 yrs old not by choice. I average about 40 hours a week out of a 7 day week. If I don`t have a lot of family activities and have a project that I can`t keep my hands off of, I`ll build 12 to 14 hours a day, but I also can only handle being at the work bench for 30 to 40 mins at a time then I need a short break, thats when I jump on the computer to see what everyone else is doing here at RCU. Or catch up on the house work.
But family comes first and when I was youger, with the size family I have it was all work and very little play time. Brownies, girl scouts,boy scouts, 4 H club, being a teachers helper, coaching little league and basketball, Karate, ect was my hobbies then.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Not nearly enough
Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Flyboy76

Ya that is what i am up against right now. I am to the point that i am sacrificing sleep just to get a little time out in the garage playing. Now that our senior hockey team is done for the year and my son only has playoffs left for hockey it is getting a little better. The only time i can get my wife interested in my flying is when i am covering a plane and ask her for input on the trim / colour design. Right now i am spending probably 1 to 1.5 hours a day every second or third day so (quick math) roughly 6 hours a week on my planes. My son isn't the least bit interested in flying (he's into his dirt bike) and my daughter is only 3.

Flyboy76
Old 02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Hockey, now you're talking!

I'm fortunate my RCU time doesn't count against my home life, I can surf and work at the same time.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Flyboy76

Up here in the barren winter wasteland of Saskatchewan that is all there is to do in the winter. The hockey rink in town is the central meeting place in the winter.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM
DaveB

I am now retired, but my time building hasn't changed all that much from my working days except it's now done during "working hours". Typically I will spend about 1 hour in the AM and a second hour in the PM 3 or 4 days per week.

But..., I now have a habit of sitting around the wood stove with a flying buddy, drinking a few brews and bull****ing about building, flying, politics and anything else that comes to mind.

DaveB
Old 02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Turned 46 yesterday, married. I get maybe an hour a day, 3-4 hours a week, if I can manage that for building time. My kids are 3 & 6. Wife works some evenings. Katrina's taking piano and dance lessons. Brent, maybe skating lessons next winter. Flying time, I hope to be able to get out at least once a week to fly. Remember summer time ..... kids soccer. Yard work (grass cutting). Hopefully there won't be too much rain this year. Too much rain equates to too much cutting time. Flying does not count as family time.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
WacoNut

I am 39, Married and the kid is out of the house(Army),
I just get under the wife's skin and she kicks me to the hobby room I have a great wife and she gives me all the time I want for my hobby as long as I don't let the house fall apart
Anthony
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
eniac

I'm 26, single, (but rather commited to the live in girl of 3 years) and work in IT, which means about 50-60 hours a week with the extra hours sprinkled in over little glitches during the evenings or weekends.

I sneak in a few glued points, or some sanding over coffee in the morning, and then maybe an hour a day, 5 out of 7 days a week in the evening. I get away with this mainly becuase I have my building table in the living room, so its not like I'm 'gone' or anything. The girl seems to think its okay, she knows I'm home, and not doing something really scary or dangerous.

I treat it just like the computer, the laptop sits on the coffee table so I'm always battle ready to fix things if they start having problems at work. So while I'm working, I'm just hanging out in the living room (outside of the 9-5) fixing things, or doing some coding. I tried to integrate the game into my life in a way that didn't take me away from her, but I still get my fun.

I only get to fly two or three times a month though, and that I do when she's at work on saturdays, but I'm gone for about three hours ( I ride a bike, so about an hour of that time is biking with planes strapped onto various racks I've built).

Sums up about like this:
2-3 flying sessions a month: 9 hours a month flying
6-8 hours a week building: 25-35 hours a month building

I expect this to drop off dramatically if/when I ever have kids.

eniac
Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Huckaneer

I am 16 years old and I spend a lot of time on my planes. On average per week, i spend probably 2 hours a day. That includes sim time and building. During the summer on some days when i go to the field i stay out there for about 8 hours and go about 5 times a week. I also play hockey and baseball.
Flyboy just wondering where exactly in Saskatchewan are you as i live in yorkton.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

ME--35yrs
She-35yrs
Princess-5
Junior-3

I work 40-50hrs a week in sales. M-F only

I grab an hour or two at the building table--which is in the dining room--maybe once during the week. I do this after work while mom plays games with the kids or they all watch TV. I still spend 2 solid hours of time with the kids on that one day a week that I work on planes. The other days, I don't work on the planes, so all my time after work is dedicated to the family.

I just got into slope soaring, slope combat, and slope DS. So, I carry a wing in the truck at all times. If I get off work soon enough, and the wind is kicking steady--I go sloping with the boys. I do this any night of the week that I want. It's all dependant on the wind/weather/lift. I try not to do this more than 1 or 2 times MAX during the week. But, not every week.

Weekends--I live a completely seperate life from the family. I am either building or flying pretty much all weekend. I see the kids for an hour or two in the morning--which is cool because I DON'T see them in the morning between M-F. During the week, I am up and gone to work while the rest of the family is still in bed. I usually leave for the airfield between 8-10am on Saturdays and Sundays. I don't come home till it's dark. Usually by 7:30 or 8:00pm. See the kids for an hour or two and then they are off to bed.

On Friday and Saturday night, I spend time with the family when I get home from the field. Kids--lights out at 9pm or 9:15pm. I stay up on these two weekend evenings until the weeeeeeeeee hours of the morning. Like between 3--5am if I need to get something done. Never go to bed before 1:30 am on a Friday or Saturday night.

So--I'll add it up

1-2 hours a week at the bench
2-4 hrs a week sloping
Weekends-- solid 20+ hours flying or doing stuff with the boys
Another 12-20hrs on Friday and Saturday night building

Looks like I'm getting minumum 33 hrs a week in the hobby and a max of 38hrs a week. Full time job and a stay at home wife with 2 young kids.

Edit:
WOW!! Maybe she ain't so bad afterall. I just went back and read my post and decided that my wife is pretty cool and my kids love me to death--despite this sickness I casually refer too as a "great hobby"

Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyboy76

Up here in the barren winter wasteland of Saskatchewan [Hockey] is all there is to do in the winter.
Herein lies the problem. You are obviously suffering from severe brain damage probably brought on by the excessive cold weather (Which is the only thing that could explain "Hockey" - except in Florida, but then, those people live with alligators)

Get your son away from hockey as soon as possible and get him started in Model Building. It is a great way for a father and son (or daughter) to spend "Quality Time" and it will give him life-long skills and teach him the gratification of reward through patience and perseverance.

And he will keep all of his teeth.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just HAD to say more....

Good lord man, you have a SON!!!!

That is the PERFECT vehicle to allow you to indulge in "GUY STUFF"

Get him involved in RC and you have it MADE!!!

IF she ever complains that you're spending too much time on airplanes, all you have to do is tell her, "But honey, I'm spending Quality Time with our son"

How can your wife possibly argue with that ???? (Well, ok, women can argue about anything)

PS, if any of you also have a daughter and she wants you to spend time "Playing house" with her, just tell her, "Ok, you take Biff out into the garage and teach him how to re-build a tranny, and I'll go to Sally's Tea Party"

I gotta stop before I change the world!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Flyboy76

Minn. i think i would have a hard time doing that. Here is Josh's typical day. Gets up has breakfast goes out on the driveway and shoots the puck around until he has to start off to school. Lunchtime he takes a lunch so he can play floor hockey in the gym at noon-hour (in the summer they play road hockey on the tennis courts). After school it is street hockey with buddies or real hockey practice 2 times a week and at least one game on the weekend. After supper it is off to the rink to shoot around. Our town has about 425 people and the guy that runs the rink practicaly lives there so it is always open for skating and shinny. If the day is really nice he will go for a ski-doo ride on the weekend before hockey. I have tried several times to get him involved with flying, but the closest i have got is him playing with my simulator (G3) . I am hoping to get him to try flying this summer as i have purchased a buddy box and when we go to the lake i fly off the golf course and it is perfect with wide open areas to land.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Flyboy76

i Read your second post after i posted. He is actually into RC monster trucks a little bit but they drive me nuts because with my airplane engines you set it and forget it, with the car engines you are constantly having to watch the temp and the way he drives them they overheat often. It did work to go out in the garage and work on the RC trucks with Josh but Karlee (who is 3) is a major daddy suck (which is cool) and hates the noise from the trucks. I could see her getting into the planes as she will just sit and watch me fly my planes (3 year olds never sit still) so i may have one in the future. I don't want to push josh for fear of pushing him away from it totally.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
roofer

38 years 4 kids own bussines at leat one hour per day flying wheater permitting own flying field 500 yars from house oldest son 13 got own plane and fly + build together about 10 hours per week building if somithing is broken can go up to 5 hours per day wait till liitle ones go sleep then build wife loves it while working on planes says it keeps me outa trouble
Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 AM
NEVER-REST

Time spent on R/C well let me see, the way it worked for me was from the age of seven up until my first born at which time I was twenty-eight, basically every free moment, barring school, sport and obviously working hours. Then I made a pact with the wife and put everything on hold for twenty years. I’m at it again pact period having run it’s course everything has changed and it is now so exciting to learn all the new building tricks and to fly with a genuine r/c transmitter that almost does everything for you, the internet, new covering material and beautiful models that can be built and flown and to top it all I have no hassles with my better half, I get coldrink, ales and snacks and the odd hand to hold this and glue that without a murmur so all in all my choice was right. I am now fifty-eight and having a ball although I still work full time but evenings and weekends are mine to fly or build as well as Wednesday afternoons for a good flying session when I need a fix. I’m a scratch builder and have never put a kit together and probably will never from plan to plane was what my old man taught me and it has stood me in good steed, man and does it go together nicely with the new glues you bet!!!! Even in my no go years I never had much use for television except to look at the aero plane videos I ordered from over the pond now and then and obviously later years we were blessed with good sports channels and I could take a peek at Nascar, Indy racing and Formula One.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

married one son going to college this fall, wife and I both fly we get in @ 10 hours a week flying. We both work full time jobs but this is how we relax. Wife is also taking lessons full scale flying. She also won a award in our last scale event in the club, flying her cub. Oh yeah, she pays for half the fuel, there is nothing wrong with getting your wife into flying.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
rotccapt

21, single, in the air force, and i spend all of my free time ether building or flying

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.