Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnetic building system... Question For All, I'm Sure Ken can answer as well

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnetic building system... Question For All, I'm Sure Ken can answer as well

Old 03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
drewhosick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic building system... Question For All, I'm Sure Ken can answer as well

Quick question for anyone that knows although I know Ken will be able to answer this for me.

I was looking into this magnetic building system when I get to kit building down the road this winter instead of just going the other way with pins. One thing I don't get is everyone keeps talking about the jigs, which I saw on that site you keep linking with the how-to guide... What I don't get is the need for the jigs... Couldn't you just use the magnets alone? I mean, what purpose do the jigs serve? I thought the magnets were just there to keep things in place and straight. Wouldn't using a few bigger magnets to hold say a rib straight work just as well or is there something I'm not familiar with... I haven't built so I'm sure there's a good reason for using some jig and all of that, I just can't figure it out.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Magnetic building system... Question For All, I'm Sure Ken can answer as well

Ok, let me see if I can clear it up. The jigs provide two main purposes. First of all, they press down on things holding them in place. On larger items you really can't use just a magnet to hold it in place because they are too high, but you can use a jig to apply pressure on top of the items. Second of all. you can use them to build against for larger structures such as wings and fuselages.

I know that this may seem like a quick answer, but you can see for yourself on my LT-40 build thread. If you go through the thread you can see the photos of the building system in use. You can find that thread here:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

The jigs in my mind are absolutely invaluable. I'm going to build more of them this summer because I am always finding myself running short as I build.

With any luck Caffeenman will jump in here and help explain further too.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 PM
drewhosick

Default RE: Magnetic building system... Question For All, I'm Sure Ken can answer as well

So from what I'm reading, it is possible to build without the jigs starting off? Maybe even get the quickgrip type presses instead of building jigs and such? I'm talking for my first kit, like a four-star.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even on a first kit you are going to need something to hold the entire structure down against the building surface. If you don't then will wind up with a fuselage/wing with warps in them. Yes, you can use anything to hold it down, but like I said I have found the jigs to be invaluable.

Ken
Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

I have used the magnetic system to build several models and it works very well. In addition to the magnetic pieces I also use several plastic bags with lead shot. These are great for holding down wing sheeting and other wide areas.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another great way to make sheeting weights is to fill sandwich bags up with sand. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
drewhosick

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo

I have used the magnetic system to build several models and it works very well. In addition to the magnetic pieces I also use several plastic bags with lead shot. These are great for holding down wing sheeting and other wide areas.

That would work or the sandbag idea... Would beat having to build the jigs for now... I don't have access to many tools yet and I would like to do all the spending on tools when I do for these projects on things I absolutely need. Down the road I will just expand on things...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

I have one that I have used for many years. comes with magnets and various hold down accessories. don't remember who made it but I think great planes now sells the unit. think they bought the rights to it. it has lots of lines to help build straight. would really recommend it over the old pin method. also there is a firm it Florida which sells the magnet assemblies cheaply. do a search on internet for magnets hobby.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer