Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo for Landing Gear Doors ?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo for Landing Gear Doors ?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Servo for Landing Gear Doors ?

I am in the process of installing pneumatic (air) retracts. The plans call for the gear doors to also be pneumatic/air actuated (with seperate air cylinders). I am concerned about the potential for air leaks (more fittings, cylinders, etc) so I am considering using a servo to open/close the gear doors. I could use a sequencer so the gear would retract/actuate first, and the door servo would actuate a few seconds later. Any issues/problems with this plan ? Am I mising something that would not make this a viable option ? Thanks. Bob
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
KojakDave
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo for Landing Gear Doors ?

I am interested in doing the same thing..any ideas on how you're going to do it? (Two microservos or one standard servo, etc)

Dave
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

On paper, your plan should be fine. If you use a Jomar door/gear sequencer, there are connections for door and gear servo's, as well as a pair of potentiometers that you use to adjust the servo speed for both the gear and door actions.

That's on paper... I haven't tried it on a plane as yet. My Bonanza will use a servo to open the inner gear doors, then retract them after the gear goes down. The servo linkage for the inner gear doors is simple, and all I did was tie the outer doors to the struts. In theory I could use a servo(s?) to do the nose gear doors, but space limitations make this difficult, so all I'm going to do is a hinged door that the gear pulls shut as it closes.

And since I'm in the middle of the prime/sand/prime/sand (repeat multiple times!)/paint cycle, how it really works 100 feet off the ground is probably a couple of months out.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan is to use a single servo (metal gear) ..... the doors (for each main) are fairly close together. I will be using the Jet-Tronics sequencer. This sequencer allows for many options ..... including seting the amount of delay (in seconds) for servo activation(s).
Bob
Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 PM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

I have a Jomar unit in my Mustang ,I use robart air retracts and a servo to cycle the inner doors, works great. Will work with mechanical retracts too.

Joe
Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
KojakDave
My Feedback: (4)

My main question is how to do the servo to door linkage and servo positioning. I'd like to see pictures/diagrams/videos to get an idea.

Dave