Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

crashed plane how to check RX

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

crashed plane how to check RX

Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crashed plane how to check RX

I crashed my Hog Bipe hard into the woods. How can the receiver be checked to sure that it is okay? does it have to sent off to see? It appears okay but I want to be sure. Don't want to loose another because of something I have control of. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: crashed plane how to check RX

I would recommend that you send the receiver off to your favorite repair facility.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ditto what Geistware said. You're better off sending the receiver in and have them check it. The service centers can find things that you can't see with your eyes. IMHO it's cheap insurance for using the receiver again.

Ken
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
aeomaster32

ORIGINAL: cubfloater

I crashed my Hog Bipe hard into the woods. How can the receiver be checked to sure that it is okay? does it have to sent off to see? It appears okay but I want to be sure. Don't want to loose another because of something I have control of. Thanks for any suggestions.
A lot depends on whether the receiver was well wrapped in foam (adding 'G pad' should really help). As well, the nature of the crash makes a difference. An aircraft that shreds itself to pieces through the trees will not put the receiver through as much deceleration as a high speed nose into concrete. It is a matter of judgement as to what the receiver went through. For what it's worth, I have seen a trainer go into lawn from 20 feet (on takeoff) and destroy itself. The radio performed perfectly for years after, because it was well wrapped.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

One older fella at the club(been flying RC planes for 30 or more years.used the reed radios) anyway he said one time to see if your rx has any damage to take a engraver and turn it on and hold it againist the rx and see what the servos do and if you have control.If the rx is solid the viberations shouldn't bother it.I've never tried it so I'm just saying what he said and has experenced. Give it a try,but if your planning to put it into a expensive plane and are not confident about it ,I would send it away to get checked.
Would suck to loose a $400 or more plane and time for a $30 check up.

Joe
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

send the whole system in to be checked more than the reciever can be damaged in a crash,servo gears,switches and enen the leads can be stained enough to have an intermiitant connection .play it safe and spend a few bucks for a checkup,you may be surpised what might be found.I have sent working systems in that showed no proplems just for a check up and was surpized to get a small bag of replaced componets.I do not understand why flyers these days are afraid to send in a radio for checkup.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are going to use the engraver method put a pencil eraser on the end.

Best is to send it off.

Second best is to safely restrain the plane and do an engine on range check, if in doubt though, send it off.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you guys or girls whatever the case may be. I'll send it off. Yes I don't want to risk my many hour Astro Hog to a repairable item. And you got me to thinking I ought to have all of them checked. Half of them have been in some kind of crash over the years! Oh yes and I was reading in an old magazine about backup battery systems. Sounds like cheap insurance too. Since I believe that was the cause of my Hog Bipe taking a trip thru the trees. I've never had that happen and wouldn't you know it that when it did it was in my most time required built plane. Oh well, I got over it and built the Astro Hog and am about ready to go again. So does anyone know where you can get the backup system or are they available?

Thanks again,
Jim
Cubfloater in NC
Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tower has one listed made by jomar but the description sounds different than the one I have in my robinhood 80,but that one is 20 years old.It was standard practice back then to use two large capacity batteries due to the servos available and the load they used while flying large ignition powered planes.it is supposed to switch to the 2nd battery at 1.1 volts/per cell anda led comes on when it switches to the spare.obviously not visible in the air but check to see if it is lit before each flight.