Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Experienced Pilot going backward for peace of mind

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Experienced Pilot going backward for peace of mind

Old 03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
fadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced Pilot going backward for peace of mind

I am flying quite fine now, very aquainted with airplanes and I am tossing around some 3d planes, patterns, bipes, and pretty much everything.
So skills are not a problem, but I am just looking for an easy flyer, to burn holes in the sky as we say on a sunny week end

I had a sig 4 star 40 in the past (crashed it in an air-to-air collison) and I am thinking to get the 60 size version now: set it up with flaperons and some 4 stroke engines.
But I am also thinking I might as well try the Tiger 60 size which has symetrical wings and is probably better than a semi symetrical low wing just in case I push a bit

What do you think is better suited? What would you do in my place?
I am looking for ARF, kit is out of the loop for now...

Also what engine would you install on either models? I am thinking oS 91 surpass...
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 PM
hrrcflyer

Default RE: Experienced Pilot going backward for peace of mind

fadi81,

If you are looking for a good, easy flying airplane, IMHO you can't beat a Hangar 9 Ultrastick. I learned to fly on a 60 size Ultrastick with a Saito 100 on it. I have flown all three sizes and the 60 size is my favorite. You can build it with or without quad flaps, but I'd suggest you build it with them. The plane doesn't seam to be affected by the wind as much as other planes and an OS91FS should fly it around just fine. It's not what I would call a 3D airplane, but you can have an awful lot of fun playing around with the flaps..

If you can find one, a 60 size Ultrasport is another excellent choice, if you dont mind building a plane from a kit. My winter project for next year (time permitting) is to build the kit I have and put my YS91 in it. It should be AWESOME.

OK, thats my 2 cents worth.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Old 03-07-2007, 02:52 PM
bla bla

Yeah a Stick is a blast as long as you build it without dihedral. Flat or even with some anhedral.
They're a bit samey though, the flight envelope isn't so broard.
You're barking up the right tree with the Tiger 60 though. If there's one in the local HS just get it.
If you extend the moment (set the stab/fin further back) say 2 inches and drop the engine trust line an inch it become even more remarkable.
Tracks like a pattern plane and lets you get the GC right back where it should be without a hint of snappiness. Lovey relaxed rolling circles, super slow flight envelop yet really locked in and precise when you need to put in a show.
One of the nicest things is it looks so retro and boxy trainer... which is exactly the type of thing you need to show if your flying skills.
Even today you'll still find many owners of flash and expensive hardware go very quite after been should up by the old Tiger.
Build it as a tail drager.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Thumprding

I have a Tiger 2 that I built a few years back. It is powered by an OS48. Nice flying plane is all I can say. The 4 stars are good planes too. The 60 size tiger should be relaxing fun plane to fly.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 PM
fadi

My concern is shall I opt for the Tiger or the Sig, which one will be more fun?
I know both of them are easy to fly and land I've tried the Sig 4* 40 and loved it, never tried the Tiger though...
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 AM
bla bla

No question, the Tiger for the reasons you stated yourself.
The Sig was designed to be a forgiving Sunday lowinger.
Dave Patrick designed the Tiger back in his pattern days as a seroius low wing aerobatic trainer.
Gentle enough for newbees, yet precise enough to be a serious tool for those wanting to get their first taste of serious.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

If you are wanting to go 4 stroke I would recomend going with the magnum 90. Tower has them on sale right now for 150. Similar to the OS and perfect for a 60 sized Sunday flyer.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Red B.

May I humbly suggest a SIG Somethin Extra.
I fly all kinds of aircraft, except jets which are beyond my budget, and I must say that the aircraft that I have had the most fun with is a flap equipped Sig SE. It is reasonably compact and with flaps it can be flown ridicously slow. The top speed is high enough to be interesting and it handles windy conditions very well.
The other aircraft you mention are also very good. I have flown Sig 4-stars extensively but at the end of the day the SE is more fun.

/Red B.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Forgive me for saying this but I never could understand the concept of an experienced flyer looking for an easy flying plane. I have all sorts of planes, 3D planes, pattern planes, war birds and bipes and they're all relaxing and easy to fly. When I want to step it up a notch then I turn up the controls and have fun. I let my student fly my pattern plane right after he soloed and he commented that it was easier to fly then his Avistar. Take the time to set up a plane properly and it will be relaxing and easy to fly.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I understand it. I have several planes that I think are set up well and fly great. But I do sometimes like to bring the trainer back out and just putt around. I like to take it up high, chop the throttle to idle and let it glide around nice and easy. My 3D plane doesnt do that particularly well.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Thumprding

This is the exact reason I still have my Tiger2 and just aquired an ACE 4-40 plane to restore a plane to my "hanger" that I loved to fly.

Some days I want to burn holes in the sky, Some days I want to see exactly what a plane and I can do and some days I just want to go nuts with a plane. For these days I will fly a fun fly or my Stinger 120. Then there are those days when I just want to take a plane up (like a nice summer evening) and fly and burn up some fuel with a plane that is inheriently graceful in the air. On that day I will either be flying the Tiger 2 or the Ryan STA and hopefully soon the 4-40.

As for will be Tiger 2 be boring. No the plane is not boring if you slightly tail weight it. You can do just about every normal stunt in the book and toss it around. The snap rolls may not be as tight and you won't be able to hover and a knife edge is a little hard to hold but remember too the plane was not designed for it and neither is 4 star. The something extra may be a better choice if you want more aerobatic capability.

ORIGINAL: Gringo Flyer

I understand it. I have several planes that I think are set up well and fly great. But I do sometimes like to bring the trainer back out and just putt around. I like to take it up high, chop the throttle to idle and let it glide around nice and easy. My 3D plane doesnt do that particularly well.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:34 AM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

You can not do better than the 4 * 60. I have just finished the kit. It was great fun to build. I added 1/2 " to the rudder on mine. I have a friend with the tiger 60, He calls it boreing??
I "had" a 4*40 and just loved it, bought it used and flew the H*** out of it!
Nothing wrong with going back and collecting yourself!!! I have needed to do it Myself. With the 4* you can fly any way You want.
john
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc-sport

Forgive me for saying this but I never could understand the concept of an experienced flyer looking for an easy flying plane.
I understand it too Robert.

My first experience with a Tiger was when a student of mine crashed his trainer and he showed up with a Tiger II. I told him he wasn't ready for a fully-symmetrical wing, but he was one of those kids who just wouldn't listen (That's why he crashed his trainer to begin with)

Anyway, I took his new Tiger up for it's maiden flight...

and the next day I went out and bought one!

The Tiger II is one of those planes that everyone should own TWO of