Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

21st Century Space Age Piant, where did it go ?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

21st Century Space Age Piant, where did it go ?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21st Century Space Age Piant, where did it go ?

I've been building a Sig Bonanza. This kit has fought me since day one. Well, its getting close to paint. I'll attach my scheme. This is a typical Beechcraft color pallet and scheme circa 1962. The base color was going to be the "cream" monokote and "almond" rustoleum that matched it. Well, the medium brown and the dark brown Rustoleum tested good. But my base color, the Almond isn't fuel proof. And even with a shot of Urathane over it, it can be chipped off fairly easily with your fingernail.
Long story made longer. I started looking for the old standby's. Lustrejunk cream sprays like water. 18 coats might give you enough paint to wet sand down and clear over, but its otherwise unuseable. Then I looked for 21st Century and realized they only offer two colors now, red and blue. ( and a white primer).

What happened ? How can there be such a gaping whole in the products available to this hobby ? No paint ? Somebody get with it !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58537.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	637200  
Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: 21st Century Space Age Piant, where did it go ?

What happened ? How can there be such a gaping whole in the products available to this hobby ? No paint ? Somebody get with it !
Very easy to explain. Nobody builds any more, ARFs are the order of the day. Hobby paint has gone the way of most other building materials.

Ed S
Old 03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep that's sad but true.alot have switched to using latex paint that can be color matched at the store.only trouble i0s the large volume gallon is more economical than a quart.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 PM
reyn3545

I just finished recovering my biplane. it used to be blue/white, now its a yellow/black scheme (photo below). I ordered acrylic enamel paint to match Ultracote from http://www.radiosouth.com They can custom match ANY color if you have a sample, or they can match ultracote and Monocote without samples.

You'll need an airbrush and mini compressor, but its well worth the additional money. I tried the "exact match" spray paint, used their primer and did everything like they suggested... terrible. Had to sand it down and re-do it completely.

From primer to color coat to clear coat, the whole process probably took about 4 hours, spread over 2 days because I was using two colors. Not much time, given the time invested in the recover job already.

These acrylic enamels are fuel-proof, and with teh clear coat, even for a complete novice like me (NO airbrush experience), it turned out like a mirror finish, not a single run in the paint.

The guys at radiosouth will sell colors in pints (most shops will do a quart minimum), so its convenient from that standpoint, but for 2 pints of yellow, one pint of black, 2 pints of clear and the assorted catalysts and thinners, I probably spent about $100. Not the cheapest route to take, but I certainly got what I paid for. You may have automotove or aircraft paint shops in your area that can sell the paint for less.. they all typically have color matching capability if you have a sample, its just a matter of how small a batch they are willing to make.

Here's my pics.. they're cellphone pictures, so the quality doesn't really do the plane justice.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34839.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	638877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15816.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	638878